Paperwork When Selling a Car in Nevada

Paperwork Required to Sell Your Car in Nevada

If you're selling your car in Nevada, there are some things you need to be aware of before you can successfully make the transaction. The most important thing is to make sure you have all the documents required by the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to transfer the ownership of the vehicle to someone else.

Selling a Vehicle in Nevada

Before we get started, it might be a good idea to check out our Guide to Selling Your Car. It's a great resource for pointers on calculating a good price for your car (after considering its condition and present market value), getting the word out about the sale, and effectively negotiating with potential buyers.

If someone's interested in buying your car, much of your hard work is done. Next, you'll just complete a little paperwork and remove your license plates, the details of which we'll get into below.

Required Documents

When you're selling a car in Nevada, you'll need to do the following:

  • Sign off on the car certificate of title (unless your vehicle is exempt from this requirement—see note below).
    • If there are multiple owners whose names are separated by “and," they must all sign.
    • If the owners' names are separated by “or," only one needs to sign over the title.
    • Any liens on the vehicle will need to be satisfied beforehand.
  • Summarize the sale for your records (and those of the new owner) by completing a Nevada bill of sale.
    • The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provides a Bill of Sale (Form VP104) on its website that you can use.
    • The document includes basic information on the seller, the buyer, the vehicle, and the sale.
  • Alert the Nevada DMV of the sale. This helps protect you against any liability connected to your former vehicle (for example, if it's abandoned or involved in an accident). You can use the DMV's online Vehicle Resale Notification page to complete this task.

Vehicle Inspections in Nevada

Nevada requires certain vehicles to undergo emissions testing depending on where they're registered, their age, and/or various aspects of their design. In the case of a used car sale, it's typically the buyer who has to attend to this requirement.

Visit our Smog Check in Nevada page for more information.

Duplicate NV Title Certificate

If you've misplaced your car title, or it's been mutilated or stolen, you'll need to obtain a duplicate in order to successfully transfer ownership of your car in NV. You can get a replacement copy by submitting a completed Application for Duplicate Nevada Certificate of Title (Form VP012) and payment for the $20 fee to the NV DMV.

If there's an active lien on the vehicle, the lien holder will need to fill out this application. If the lien has been satisfied, you must also include a notarized lien release with your application.

NOTE: Your application must be notarized or witnessed by an authorized Nevada DMV agent.

For more information, visit our Replacing a Lost Title in Nevada page.

Duplicate Registration in Nevada

You can also apply for a duplicate registration if your original has been damaged, stolen, or misplaced. The pertinent paperwork is the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Registration and/or Substitute Decal (Form VP013). You'll also need to pay a $5 duplicate registration fee.

For more information, visit our Replacing a Lost Registration in Nevada page.

NV Vehicle History Reports

When selling a vehicle in Nevada, it's important to consider the strategies of potential buyers. Many will seek out a vehicle history report for your car. This is a document, retrievable with the vehicle identification number (VIN), which includes details on the car's past, from any issues with its title to involvement in theft or accidents.

If you're curious about vehicle history reports and how used car shoppers use them to weigh their options, be sure to read our guide on the subject.

Transferring License Plates After a Sale

The license plates on your vehicle stay with you after a sale, so before handing the keys over, you'll need to remove them. You can either transfer them to another vehicle in your name or surrender them to the NV DMV.

If you are surrendering them, take the license plates to a Nevada DMV office in person or send them by mail. Remember to include a signed letter asking for them to be cancelled.

Learn more about surrendering your Nevada license plates, as well as the potential for registration fee refunds, on the DMV website.

Forms for Easy Download

Application for Duplicate Nevada Certificate of Title (Form VP012)

Bill of Sale (Form VP104)

Application for Duplicate Certificate of Registration and/or Substitute Decal (Form VP013)

Optional helpful links:

Generic Bill of Sale

Vehicle History Report


Bill of Sale
Use the DMV's bill of sale form as a proof of purchase when transferring ownership of a vehicle in NV.
Application for Duplicate Nevada Certificate of Title
Request a replacement NV vehicle title from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Application for Duplicate Registration Certificate
Request a replacement registration certificate AND/OR substitute decals from the Nevada DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review