Buying and Selling FAQs in Nevada

Aside from our Buying & Selling reports for NV, check out these questions and answers to get the ball rolling.

How much will it cost to register my new car?

The State of Nevada offers a handy online estimator to figure your registration fees. You'll need all of the vehicle information, including the VIN number, so have it handy before going online.

I was thinking about buying a salvaged car and restoring it. Can I do that?

No. It is illegal to sell a salvaged car that has not been rebuilt. If the vehicle has an orange Salvage title and has not been repaired/restored, the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles will not register, title, or transfer that vehicle.

I've been looking at used cars, but some of them don't have titles. Can I buy them anyway?

The owner of the vehicle must apply for a duplicate title to transfer to you before you can buy it. You cannot register the vehicle in your name without the title.

I want to buy a used car, but will have to get my tags in a couple of weeks. Can I drive around without a tag until then? Or get a temporary tag?

You'll need to get a movement permit from a full-service Nevada DMV office; these are considered Nevada's "temporary tags."

You'll have to provide proof of insurance and show the signed-off title or proof of ownership and a movement permit will be issued for 30 days. The DMV advises that you use alternate transportation to drive to the DMV to pick up the movement permits.

I found a car I'd like to buy from a dealer in another state, but I'm a resident of Nevada. Is there anything special I need to know?

Buying a vehicle from another state is not much different than buying in-state, but there are a few things you should be aware of.

Ask the dealer for a movement permit to bring the vehicle back into Nevada. You should register it with the state before the movement permit expires.

Nevada will collect the sales tax due, but depending on the state you buy from, part of the tax may have been collected during the sale.

Be sure to take all documentation with you to a full-service NV DMV office. You'll need the:

  • Invoice or bill of sale.
  • Title or the manufacturer's certificate of origin.
  • Emissions report, if required.
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection, which is done right there at the DMV Inspection Station before you go inside.

It's a good idea to also take proof of insurance, although this will be checked electronically during the application process.

NOTE: Except for Utah purchases, the sales tax amount will be tallied with the total amount due, and you'll pay the difference when you register the vehicle. For Utah purchases, the amount may have been figured on the sales sheet, but you'll still pay the full amount due in Nevada at time of registration.

One of my friends just imported a car from Italy, and has talked me into buying one, too. How do I import a car?

Nevada provides detailed information for importing vehicles in their Registration and Title Guide. They also advise that you email them with specifics so they can answer all your questions.

For general importing information, be sure to check out the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review