Boat Registration and Licenses in Nevada

Boat registration and titling is handled by the Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW). Keep reading to learn about the NDOW's titling and registration requirements, as well as the qualifications needed to operate a vessel on Nevada state waters.

Boats to Title & Register in Nevada

In Nevada, you're required to title and register ALL motorized boats (including jet skis), with the following exceptions:

  • Any non-motorized vessel, including:
    • Non-motorized sailboats.
    • Canoes.
    • Kayaks.
  • Boats currently registered out-of-state, being used on NV waters for up to 60 consecutive days.
  • Any motorboat from another country temporarily using Nevada's waters.
  • A ship's lifeboat.
  • A public vessel of the U.S. government, a state, or a political subdivision of a state.

If you still aren't sure if your watercraft requires titling and registration, get in touch with the NDOW's boat registration and titling contact at (775) 688-1500.

Boat Registration in Nevada

If you have a new OR untitled boat, you will need to bring it to the NDOW office for inspection when you apply for title and registration if:

  • You don't have the vessel's Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO).
  • The boat is from a non-titling state.
  • The hull identification number (HIN) is hand-written on the vessel.

To title and register your boat with the NV Department of Wildlife, provide the following at your local NDOW office:

  • Proof of ownership:
    • New vessels: Bill of sale.
    • Used vessels: Properly assigned NV boat title.
  • Your Social Security number.
  • Proof of sales tax paid if you bought the boat from a dealer, broker, OR repossession company.
  • If the vessel is from out-of-state, its previous title OR registration (if from a non-titling state).
  • For new/untitled boats, the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin.
  • Payment for all applicable title and registration fees.

Your boat registration is valid for 1 year, and expires on a December 31st.

NOTE: The Carson City office DOES NOT conduct inspections; if your boat meets any of the qualifications for inspection, you'll need to title and register it at any other NDOW office.

NDOW Boat Title & Registration Fees

The fees required to title and register your boat with the Nevada Department of Wildlife are as follows:

  • Original boat title: $20.
  • Original/renewal vessel registration (depends on the length of your boat):
    • Less than 13 ft:$20.
    • 13 ft to 18 ft:$25.
    • 18 ft to 22 ft:$40.
    • 22 ft to 26 ft: $55.
    • 26 ft to 31 ft: $75.
    • 31 ft and longer:$100.
  • Aquatic invasive species (AIS) decal:
    • Non-motorized vessels—Varies by ownership residency:
      • NV residents: $6.
      • Non-residents: $6.
    • Motorized boats—Varies by ownership residency:
      • Nevada residents: $13.
      • Non-residents: $13.
  • Title transfer fee: $20.
  • Replacement:
    • Vessel title: $20.
    • Registration certificate and/or decals: $20.
    • Registration certificate AND title: $20.
  • Sales tax: Depends on your NV county of residence; contact any of the following Nevada Department of Taxation offices for details on rates and making sales tax payments:
    • Reno: (775) 687-9999.
    • Carson City: (775) 684-2135.
    • Las Vegas: (702) 486-2300.
  • Service fees.

Boat Registration & Title Renewal & Replacement

When it's time to renew your boat's registration, the NV Department of Wildlife will send you a renewal notice in the mail.

You can renew your registration by providing information about your boat AND the necessary renewal fees on the NDOW's online renewal system.

After renewing online, the NDOW will issue you a temporary authorization number, which allows you to legally operate your boat.

Replace a Lost Registration or Title

If your vessel's title or registration is lost or destroyed, you'll need to apply for a duplicate copy, in person, at a NDOW office. Make sure you bring payment for the applicable replacement title and/or registration fees; the NDOW agent will provide the application for duplicate certificate(s).

Boater License

If you were born after January 1st, 1983 you must complete a boating education course AND pass a proficiency exam to operate a motorboat of more than 15 horsepower on Nevada's waters.

Additionally, you must be at least:

  • 14 years old to operate personal watercraft.
  • 16 years old OR 14 years old with a supervisor who's at least 18 years old to drive a boat that's tows another recreational vessel (e.g. waterskis, wakeboard, inner-tube, etc.).

You can fulfill the NV Department of Wildlife's boater education and testing requirements online—refer to the NDOW's boating safety page for approved education providers and more information about the course.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review