Other Licenses & Endorsements in New Mexico

Special Licenses in New Mexico

The New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) offers a few different driver's license classes and endorsements other than your regular, noncommercial driver's license.

Depending on the weight, size, and style of vehicle you want to drive, and the reason you want to drive it, you may need to apply for a special license or endorsement.

Generally, your application process will be similar to that of your regular driver's license. You'll likely need to:

  • Pass a license class/endorsement-specific written test.
  • Pass a driving test in the type of vehicle you want to drive.
  • Pay a new licensing fee.

On this page you'll find a basic overview of some of the license classes and endorsements you may need in New Mexico.

If you are looking for information about applying for a regular driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

New Mexico Commercial Vehicles & Licenses

If you plan to drive a heavy-weight vehicle or a vehicle designed to transport a large number of passengers, you'll likely need to apply for a commercial driver's license. The specific CDL class and your endorsements will determine what types of vehicles you can drive and what kind of driving you can do.

Certain driving professions require having endorsements in addition to a CDL, while others don't require a CDL but do require an endorsement. We'll sort out some common scenarios below.

For more information about applying for a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in New Mexico page.

NOTE: New Mexico has a a weight-distance tax for owners, operators, and registrants of intra and interstate commercial vehicles that have a declared gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 lbs.

School Bus Drivers

School bus drivers must have a CDL along with a passenger ("P") and a school bus ("S") endorsement. To become a school bus driver in New Mexico, you may need to:

  • Become certified and trained as a school bus driver.
  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Maintain a clean driving record with the New Mexico MVD.
  • Pass a school bus knowledge test.
  • Pass a driving skills test in the type of school bus you want to drive.

For more information, please contact the New Mexico DMV.

Shuttle Bus Drivers

Shuttle buses not only come in a variety of styles and sizes, but are used in many different ways. If you're driving 16 passengers or more, you'll need to obtain a CDL, along with a passenger or other endorsements. Check with the New Mexico MVD or your potential employer to find out what's needed.

Taxi Drivers & Chauffeurs in New Mexico

Those interested in becoming a chauffeur need only have a current, basic New Mexico driver's license.

To drive a taxi, you simply need to have a valid, standard New Mexico driver's license.

However, some New Mexico municipalities may require you to:

  • Pass a background check.
  • Provide your fingerprints.
  • Have a clean driving record.
  • Pay a taxi certification fee.

For more information, please contact the New Mexico MVD.

New Mexico Sport Vehicles

You don't need a special license to operate an all-terrain or off-road vehicle. However, some off-road and sport vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in New Mexico page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review