Replacing a Lost Registration in New Mexico

If your registration card, license plates, or decals are lost, stolen, or damaged, it's important that you replace them as soon as possible. Driving without a valid registration document or license plates can land you in trouble if you are stopped by a police officer or involved in an accident. You could be subject to fines or penalties for not having the proper documentation or displaying valid plates or stickers on your vehicle.

To replace your registration, license plates, or stickers, you'll just need to request duplicates from the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division (MVD).

If your vehicle title has been lost or stolen, see our page Replacing a Lost TItle in New Mexico for more information.

Replace a NM Registration Card

If you're in New Mexico and need to replace your registration card, you can request a copy of your registration:

  • Online.
  • In person.


To order a duplicate registration, go to the NM MVD online registration system. Be sure that you have:

  • Your license plate number.
  • Your vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • A credit or debit card for payment. The MVD accepts VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

The fee for an online duplicate registration is $7.50 plus a $1.25 transaction fee.

Once the transaction is complete, you can print your confirmation or choose to have it e-mailed to you. You should receive an e-mail once the transaction has been processed.

New registration cards are will be mailed to you.

In Person

You can also go in person to your local Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) field office to request a duplicate vehicle registration card. You will pay a $7.50 fee.

Out of State Replacements

If you're outside of New Mexico, you can use the online registration system to request a replacement registration card. See the "Online" section above for more information.

Replace New Mexico License Plates

If your license plates or license plate stickers have been lost, stolen or damaged, you can apply for replacements in person at a MVD field office. Be sure to take your current registration card with you.

You may also be able to order replacement license plates or stickers by calling (888) MVD-INFO, or (888) 683-4636. Have your vehicle registration card with your license plate number handy.

Reporting Lost Registration or Plates

If your vehicle registration, license plates, or license plate stickers are lost or stolen, consider reporting them to your local law enforcement agency. Although reporting a loss or theft isn't required, filing a police report can help in case someone commits a traffic offense or is involved in an accident using your license plates or vehicle registration. It can also help if the loss or theft results in identity theft or other fraudulent activity.

In addition, if you car is damaged due to the theft of license plates, your car insurance company may require a police report if you make a claim to have the damage repaired.

Finally, reporting loss or theft to the police can protect you if you are stopped by the police while you're waiting for your new vehicle registration, license plates, or stickers.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG