Identification Cards in New Mexico

Applying for a New Mexico ID Card

Apply for a state ID card in person at a NM MVD office. Bring proof of your identity, Social Security number, NM residency, and payment for the required fee. 

For more details, including info on renewals and replacements, keep reading!

Need a way to show your identity, but not interested in getting behind the wheel? You're in luck! The New Mexico MVD issues REAL ID identification cards to citizens for a variety of tasks, such as voting, proof of ID, travel, and more.

We'll get into the specifics below.

Apply for a New Mexico ID Card

An ID card identifies a person as a citizen of a specific state. You are not allowed to have one if you already possess a driver's license.


The New Mexico MVD has begun issuing federally-compliant REAL IDs upon first application AND renewals—which must be applied for in person. The documents to apply are the same.

You must apply for an ID card in person at a New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office. There, you have to provide the following documentation (view the complete list):

DO NOT bring highlighted documents—the MVD will reject them.

A photograph will be taken of you for an ID card, and you will need to provide your thumbprint and signature. As with a driver's license, you have the choice of registering as an organ donor (minors must have a guardian's signature).

Your fees will vary based on how long your NM REAL ID identification card is valid.

If you are unable to provide the identification documents required for a secure ID above, you can obtain an alternative identification card by providing:

  • 2 documents proving your identity.
  • 1 document proving your New Mexico residency.

DO NOT bring highlighted documents—the MVD will reject them.

Renew or Replace Your ID Card in NM

Depending on the type of ID card you have, you may renew or replace your identification card:

  • In person.
    • Required for all non-REAL ID-compliant cards—you will be given a REAL ID upon renewal.
  • Online.
    • Available if:
      • You already hold a REAL ID-compliant card.
      • Your card is valid or expired for under 1 year.

Change Your Name or Address

If you've changed your name or address, you'll need to notify the NM MVD. Address changes can be made either by email, fax, mail, or in person. Name changes must be made in person and you will be required to provide proof of the change.

Visit our following pages for more information:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review