DUI Attorneys in New Mexico
If you were caught driving while intoxicated (DWI) also called driving under the influence (DUI) in New Mexico, you may want to seek the help of a DUI attorney. A DUI charge comes with serious penalties, including a driver's license suspension and even jail time.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
On this page, you'll read about how to pick a DUI attorney in Mexico.
Hiring a DUI Attorney in New Mexico
You may want to do some research prior to hiring a DUI lawyer. Check out the tips below for advice on how to find the right one:
- Get suggestions. Try asking your friends and family if they know any reliable DUI attorneys.
- Look for a skilled DUI lawyer. Finding an attorney who has a lot of experience in handling DUI/DWI cases similar to yours can be extremely beneficial.
- Stay in your local area. An attorney who is familiar with local NM courts and law enforcement could make the court process easier.
- Call several lawyers. Initial consultations are usually free, so contact as many DUI attorneys as you can.
- Find out about your fees. The first thing you should do is ask how much you'll have to pay your attorney, and when you're required to pay.
Continue reading below to learn more about DUI attorneys and charges.
Charges Handled by DUI Attorneys
In New Mexico, your DUI penalties will depend on your age, driving history, and the severity of your offense. If you were arrested for a NM DUI, you were likely caught driving with the following blood alcohol concentration (BAC):
- 0.08% or more, if you are 21 years old or older.
- 0.04% or more, if you were driving a commercial vehicle.
- 0.02% or more, if you are younger than 21 years old.
You can still be charged with a DWI if you were under the legal limit and deemed by the officer to be too impaired to drive a vehicle.
NOTE: An officer will revoke your NM driver's license on the spot if you tested above the legal limit or if you refused a BAC test.
How a DUI Attorney Can Help
When you're charged with a DUI in New Mexico, you'll likely need some assistance to get through the process. DUI attorneys can:
- Show up in court for you.
- Help you decide how to plea.
- Fill out all the necessary court paperwork and submit it for you.
- Get you ready for the court process.
- Explain your penalties and how to meet court requirements.
If you decide to plead "not guilty" to your DUI charges, there is no guarantee you'll win your case even with the help of a DUI attorney. However, having a DUI attorney on your side may help you have your charges reduced and save you money in the long term.
Penalties for a New Mexico DUI
A DWI conviction can bring upon a variety of consequences in New Mexico. Depending on the nature of your DUI charge, age, and driving history, you could face any or all of the following penalties:
- An ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle (mandatory for all offenders).
- Fees to reinstate your driver's license.
- Court fees.
- Driver's license revocation.
- Community service.
- Psychological evaluation.
- Driver education courses.
- Jail time.
For more information about DUI charges, visit our DUI in New Mexico page.
Need SR-22 Insurance?
Get the cheapest SR-22 Insurance rate comparing multiple providers.Call (315) 804-6915 for a Quote