Buying and Selling FAQs in New Mexico

Aside from our New Mexico State Regulations section and the various articles in our Buying & Selling section, the most frequently asked questions will further help you have a safe and smooth transaction.

What is a bill of sale?

A bill of sale is the document that proves a vehicle's ownership was transferred and provides information about the transaction including the purchase price of the vehicle, the sale date, a description of the vehicle, and the names of the buyer and seller.

We provide a generic bill of sale. The state has its own Bill of Sale (Form MVD10009).

DO NOT highlight your bill of sale—the MVD will reject it.

What should I do with my license plates when I sell my car?

Remove and keep them. Whether you plan to register and transfer them to another vehicle, or submit them to a Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) field office to be removed from the system, you have 30 days to take care of them.

Will New Mexico's Lemon Law cover the clunker I just bought?

Well, it depends on your definition of "clunker." If you purchased or leased the vehicle and it's been away for repair for at least 30 days, or at least 4 attempts have been made to repair for the same problem, you may be covered under the New Mexico Lemon Law.

How is vehicle registration going to fit into my budget?

Your registration cost will depend on the weight and model of your vehicle, as well as how many years you plan to register your vehicle (1- or 2-year registrations).

To give you an idea, registration cost usually ranges from $27 to $62 for a registration valid 1 year and $54 to $124 for a registration valid 2 years.

How can I personalize my New Mexico license plates?

Aside from the MVD section on specialized license plates in New Mexico, you can find tons of information about this in our License Plates & Placards section.

I'm buying a vehicle from someone in Arizona. Do I need to do anything special because of that?

Yes, you do. Any time you're buying a vehicle with an out-of-state title, you'll need to have a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection completed.

How difficult is it going to be to get a vehicle I bought from another country into the States?

Not too difficult, especially if it already conforms to the vehicle importation regulations as explained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

If it doesn't, you'll need to contact the NHTSA for details.

All this talk of buying and selling cars and license plates made me realize I need more information about registering and titling vehicles. Can you help?

Of course we can―it's what we do! Just check out our registration and titling sections.


Bill of Sale
Use the MVD's bill of sale as a proof of purchase when transferring ownership of a vehicle or vessel in New Mexico.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review