Other Licenses & Endorsements in New Jersey

Special Driver's Licenses in New Jersey

If you want to drive heavy or large passenger vehicles, you may need to apply for a special license or endorsement with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC).

The type of license you hold will determine the maximum weight-class vehicle you can drive and the number of passengers you can carry.

On this page you'll find a general overview of some of the different license classes and endorsements available to you.

For information about obtaining a standard, noncommercial driver's license, please visit our pages on:

New Jersey Commercial Driver's License

A commercial driver's license (CDL) will allow you to drive heavy vehicles and transport large numbers of passengers. For information about applying for a commercial license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in New Jersey page.

School Bus Drivers

If you want to drive a school bus in New Jersey, you will need "P" and "S" endorsements. To obtain these endorsements, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old (for intrastate use).
  • Be at least 21 years old with 3 years of driving experience.
  • Have 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without corrective lenses.
  • Have 70 degree peripheral vision in each eye.
  • Be able to distinguish the colors red, green, and amber.
  • Pass a federal background check.
  • Pass a state criminal background check.
  • Be fingerprinted.
  • Submit a Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination (Form 649-F).
  • Submit a Bus Application (Form DR-14).

For more information, please contact the New Jersey MVC.

Taxi Drivers in New Jersey

Each town and city mandates its own taxi driver requirements. Consult your local government offices for appropriate forms and regulations.

You may need to:

  • Maintain a clean driving record.
  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Pay a taxi licensing fee.
  • Become certified as a taxi driver.

Chauffeur Drivers

To be a chauffeur driver in New Jersey:

  • You must be at least 21 years old.
  • You must pass a criminal history background check.
  • You must pass a drug test.
  • You must have no prior convictions for aggravated assault, burglary, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, or possession or sale of a controlled dangerous substance, among other disqualifying crimes.
  • You must have your employer complete a Limousine Driver Employer Application (Form CDL-5).
  • You must complete a New Jersey Universal Fingerprint Form (Form IDG_NJAPP) and then arrange for a fingerprint appointment. You can pay the $50.66 fee when making the appointment. Have a credit or debit card handy.

New Jersey Sport Vehicle Drivers

Certain sport vehicles/off-road vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in New Jersey page.

Motorboats or Jet Skis

This pertains to recreational vehicles operated on fresh, non-tidal waters such as lakes, creeks and rivers.

  • You must be at least 16 years old. If you're younger than 17 years old, you'll need a letter of consent from your parent or guardian.
  • You must provide proof you completed a boating safety course.
  • You must pass the Six Point ID Verification.
  • You must pay the $18 license fee.

Questions? Check out New Jersey's Boating Safety Manual.


Universal Fingerprint Form
Bring this completed form to your fingerprint-based criminal record check in New Jersey.
Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination
Medical examination for driver fitness required when applying for your NJ CDL. Must be completed by a medical professional.
Limousine Driver Employer Application
Form used by employers of limousine drivers to verify applicants with the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.
Bus Application
MVC application to become a school bus driver in New Jersey.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review