Replacing a Lost Registration in New Jersey

Replacing a Lost NJ Registration

All New Jersey drivers are required to keep their valid registration card in their car. If you’ve lost or damaged yours, you’ll need to replace it at the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) office as soon as you can.

Below, we’ll help with the steps you need to take to get a copy of your registration as quickly as possible. Let’s get started.

Lost Your License Plate?

We've got you covered. Check out our guide on replacing a lost NJ license plate for the info you need.

How to Replace a New Jersey Registration

A NJ registration certificate must be replaced in person at any motor vehicle agency office.

You will need:

  • Proof of your age and identity, such as your NJ driver's license.
    • Only the owner or co-owner will be able to buy a duplicate registration for their vehicle.*
  • EITHER your:
    • NJ insurance card.
    • Receipt from a previous registration or transaction.
  • A completed Vehicle Application Registration (Form BA-49).
    • ALL owners listed on the title must sign the form.
  • Payment for the duplicate registration fee:
    • Passenger or commercial registration for 1 year: $5.
    • Accelerated registration (4 years):
      • $11 during the first 3 years.
      • $5 in the last year.

*NOTE: If you need someone to purchase your duplicate registration for you, they MUST present a notarized written statement of your consent.

Replacing Lost NJ Tags/Stickers/Decals

Contact your local MVC office for information on replacing your lost validation decals.

Replacing a Leased Vehicle Registration

If your vehicle is leased and you need a replacement registration, you will need to request power of attorney (POA) from your leasing company. You will need to provide:

  • Your name.
  • A statement authorizing you to sign the replacement registration application.
  • The car's vehicle identification number (VIN), make, and model.

Need help finding your VIN?

You can typically locate your vehicle identification number:

  • On your vehicle title.
  • On the dashboard of your car, near the windshield.
  • On the driver's side door jamb (near the latch).

The leasing company can supply you with the POA or they can fax it directly to the MVC. For fax numbers please call the MVC at (609) 292-6500.

For a replacement registration, in addition to the POA,  you will need:

  • Your New Jersey driver's license or ID.
  • Proof of insurance OR a registration or title transaction receipt.
  • The  Vehicle Application Registration (Form BA-49).
  • Payment for replacement fees (see above for a breakdown).

Duplicate Registration Fees in NJ

Here’s a list of the fees related to getting your duplicate registration:

  • Passenger or commercial registration (1 year): $5.
  • Accelerated registration (4 years):
    • Within the first 3 years: $11.
    • During the last year: $5.


Registration Application
Request a replacement NJ registration if yours has been lost. Form must be obtained from an MVC office. Not available online.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review