Replacing a Lost License in New Jersey

Replacing a Lost or Stolen License in New Jersey

Losing your driver's license can put you at risk for identity theft and remove your ability to drive legally. Fortunately, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) makes getting a replacement easy.

Report Your Lost or Stolen NJ Driver's License

If your driver's license is missing, the state asks that you report it to the police right away. This is especially important if you think it has been stolen. Identity theft can be devastating, and reporting your lost or stolen license will help to protect you in the event someone tries to assume your identity.

Apply for a Replacement NJ License or ID

Remember, you cannot drive without a license, including a license that is damaged or is illegible. To get a replacement, you will need to:

  • Go to an MVC agency office.
  • Complete an Application for Driver's License or Non-Driver ID Application (Form BA-208). You may obtain these forms at your MVC office; they are not available for download online.
  • Present proof of ID that meets the dmv NJ 6 points ID requirement (see “Proof of ID" below.)
  • Pay the $11 fee.
    • Accepted payment methods: cash, major credit or debit card, or check/money order made payable to the New Jersey MVC.

NOTE: It is free to replace a “Disabled Person Identification Card."

Apply for a Replacement New Jersey Permit

You need to get a duplicate permit if yours has been lost or stolen.
 You will need to:

  • Visit your local MVC office that has Driver Testing Services.
  • Meet the 6 Point ID requirements. (See “6 Point ID Requirement" below.)
  • Pay the $11 fee.
    • Accepted methods of payment: cash, major credit or debit card, or check/money order made payable to the New Jersey MVC.

ID Point Requirement

To prevent identity theft, the MVC has created a 6 Point ID requirement checklist, whereby a point value is assigned to the various forms of identity that it accepts. You will need to bring:

  • At least 1 primary (or 4 point) document. Examples include:
    • Birth Certificate (see below for information about Puerto Rico and Hudson County certificates).
    • U.S. Passport (valid or expired no more than 3 years).
    • Non-driver ID card.
  • At least 1 secondary Examples include:
    • Marriage, civil union, or domestic partnership certificate.
    • U.S. school/college photo ID with school transcript.
    • Social Security card.
  • Proof of NJ residency (if necessary)*.

* NJ Residency Verification:

If none of your primary and/or secondary forms of ID list your current address (P.O. boxes are not accepted), then you must bring additional documentation that proves you are a New Jersey resident. Examples include:

  • Credit card bill.
  • Utility bill.
  • Original lease or rental agreement.

All documents must be original or certified copies.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, additional proof of legal presence in the U.S. may be required.

The NJ MVC provides a helpful online checklist to ensure you are prepared with all of the necessary documentation to meet the requirements. You can also read the full list of accepted documentation on their 6 Point ID brochure.

Puerto Rico Birth Certificates

If you have a birth certificate issued by the Puerto Rico Department of Health prior to July 1, 2010, you must obtain a new, secure certificate online or by mail. The Puerto Rico Federal Affairs website has instructions on getting your new certificate.

Hudson County Birth Certificates

If you were born before 1965 and have a Jersey City/Hudson county birth certificate, you'll need to either:

  • Get a new copy of your birth record from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration for a $25 fee.
    • Must be a certified copy.
  • Obtain a letter of authenticity from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics (no fee).
    • You must go to the State Bureau Office with your original certified birth record and valid ID.

Out-of-State or Military NJ Driver's License Replacement

If you're working or traveling out of the state or country, including as military personnel stationed abroad, and need to replace a driver's license that has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, then you may apply for a temporary license to be sent by mail to your present, out-of-state address.

To be eligible to apply, you must:

  • Be a New Jersey licensee and permanent resident of NJ.
  • Be away from the state for an extended amount of time and in a location outside the tri-state area.
  • Have a digital license.
  • Current license is expired, will expire soon, or has been lost for less than 3 years.
  • NOT be replacing a commercial driver's license (CDL).
  • NOT hold a CDL Class A, B, or C license.
  • Be a U.S. citizen and not have a temporary visa.

If you meet the requirement above, then you must send the following to the MVC:

  • A letter detailing why you can't come in-person to get a duplicate license, including how long you expect to be gone.
    • Must be original – no copies.
  • A completed driver's license application (Form BA-208).
    • Call (609) 292-6500 to request form.
  • Check or money order for $11 made payable to the NJ MVC.
  • 6 points of identification. (See “ID Point Requirement" above.)
    • Don't send originals. Instead, opt for certified or photo copies.
  • Proof of New Jersey Address (see “ID Point Requirement" above).
  • Current out-of-state or out-of-country address.
    • MVC will not send temporary licenses to New Jersey addresses.

Once you have compiled the above documents, mail everything along with a prepaid tracking envelope to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Government/Out-of-State Unit
P.O. Box 016
Trenton, NJ 08666

Replace a NJ Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

You cannot legally drive a commercial vehicle without a CDL. If yours has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, you need to replace it immediately.

The steps to replace your commercial driver's license or permit are the same as a standard license (see above). You must apply in person and pay the same fees.

Commercial license holders are not eligible to apply for a temporary license from out of state.


Non-Driver ID Application
Application for a non-driver New Jersey identification card. Only available at MVC offices. Not available online.
Application for Drivers License
Application for a New Jersey driver's license. Must be obtained at an MVC office. Not available online.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review