Moving Out of State in New Jersey

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

Surrendering Your Plates

New Jersey requires you to surrender inactive plates. You can surrender plates at any MVC location, but not at inspection centers.

A better approach might be to have your new registration and plates in hand, then cancel your New Jersey registration, and then mail your plates to:

  • Motor Vehicle Commission
  • Customer Advocacy Office
  • P.O. Box 403
  • Trenton, NJ 08666

Make sure to keep the receipt. You'll need this to prove cancellation if you continue to get billed by the MVC in error.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Things to Do When You Move to a New State

  • Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency most states require that this be done within a set amount of time, usually ranging between 30 and 60 days.
  • Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
  • Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
  • Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title is rarely mandatory. You will need an updated title, however, if you ever sell your vehicle.
  • Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address. BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through