Other Vehicle Registrations in New Jersey

How to Register a Special Vehicle in New Jersey

Many vehicle types other than cars and trucks still need to be registered with the NJ MVC. Some require additional steps, such as the completion of a safety course for all-terrain vehicles. Others, like motorhomes and trailers, use the same process as registering your car. Details can be found below.

Regardless of what type of special vehicle you own, it's important to be aware of the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission's (MVC) requirements for titling and registration.

In addition to ensuring you've registered your vehicle properly, be sure to follow all rules regarding the operation of your special vehicle. Failure to do so may result in fines and other penalties.

You may also wish to refer to some of our other pages in regards to registering and operating other types of vehicles in NJ:

Register All-Terrain Vehicles and Dirt Bikes in New Jersey

If you have an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or dirt bike, you must register it before you take it for a spin. You will need to visit your local NJ MVC office and:

  • Show proof of insurance.
  • Show proof of ownership:
    • If you bought your ATV from a dealer, you will need a manufacturer's statement/certificate of origin (for new vehicles) and an invoice that includes information about the ATV and a "Sales Tax Satisfied" stamp.
    • If you bought the ATV from a private seller, you will need a manufacturer's statement of origin OR the seller's registration (indicating they sold the vehicle to you) and a notarized letter including their name, the date of sale, the purchase price, and vehicle details.
  • Complete a Application for Vehicle Registration (Form BA-49).
  • Pay the registration fee and any required sales tax.

Rules and Regulations

Be sure to follow the state's rules and regulations when operating an ATV or dirt bike:

  • You must be at least 14 years old.
  • You can not operate the ATV on any public roads or highway. You can only drive it off-road.
  • You must complete a safety course if you're younger than 18 years old:
  • If you're younger than 16 years old, you can not operate a dirt bike or ATV with an engine bigger than 90 cc on public property or to cross a public road.

For a complete list of rules on operating dirt bikes and ATVs in New Jersey, visit the Motor Vehicle Commission website.

How to Register Snowmobiles in New Jersey

While you don't need to be licensed to operate a snowmobile in New Jersey, your vehicle must be registered with the NJ MVC. Follow the same registration process that's outlined in " NJ All-Terrain Vehicles and Dirt Bikes" above.

Remember, you must wear a helmet at all times while on a snowmobile. You must also wear a personal flotation device whenever you're driving your snowmobile on ice-covered waters in NJ. Failure to do so may result in fines ranging from $25 to $100.

Before you take your snowmobile out for a spin, read the Snowmobile Manual to ensure you stay safe on the ice.

NJ Trailer Registration

Trailers weighing 2,500 lbs. or less, including trailers, semi-trailers, and pop-up campers, are considered non-conventional and do not require titles, although you must still register them with the state. The process is the same as registering your car.

Recreational Vehicles and Motorhomes

Recreational vehicles (RVs) need to be registered and titled just as regular passenger cars need to be. For more information, visit our guide to Register a Car in New Jersey.

The fee to register your RV or motor home will be calculated based on its year and weight class, just like a basic passenger vehicle.

Custom-Built Cars

If you have a custom-built car, your registration process should be similar to registering a regular car or truck; however, the NJ NVC doesn't specify exact requirements. Since your vehicle is comprised of multiple gathered parts, registration will likely include a few extra steps, such as providing bills of sale for each part that you used.

Contact theNew Jersey MVC central office for specific instructions.

Off-Road Vehicles

Vehicles such as golf carts, go carts, motorized wheelchairs, and non-street-legal scooters, are exempt from titling and registration in New Jersey. You can find a complete list of all non-conventional vehicles online.

NJ Moped/Scooter Registration

The NJ MVC classifies motor-driven cycles as mopeds OR motorcycles. BOTH types must be registered. See our scooters and mopeds page for more details.

A vehicle is considered a moped if it has:

  • Bicycle pedals.
  • An engine size of under 50 cc.
  • Up to 1.5 HP (horsepower).
  • A top speed of 25 MPH.

Vehicles that exceed the moped limits OR those without bicycle pedals, must be registered as motorcycles.

Pocket Bikes

Pocket bikes CANNOT be registered or operated on public roads.

A pocket bike is defined as a small motorcycle with:

  • A gas engine under 50 cc.
  • A maximum speed of 45 MPH.


Registration Application
Request a replacement NJ registration if yours has been lost. Form must be obtained from an MVC office. Not available online.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review