Online Services in New Jersey
If a trip to the state motor vehicle office sounds about as much fun as rush hour traffic on the NJ Turnpike, check out our list of online services. You might be able to take care of driver- and vehicle-related tasks from your home computer.
Typically, the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) handles driver services. The state offers a number of online services on its website, but you can also use the help of private companies dedicated to taking care of these tasks for you.
New Jersey Vehicle Services
Before you can start your car, you'll need to make sure it meets all the legal requirements to drive. Both the New Jersey MVC and a number of third-party vendors are here to help you hit the road.
- Renew your vehicle registration.
- Pay registration fees.
- Change the address on your registration.
- Order personalized license plates.
- Order auto insurance.
- You can't leave home without it. At least, not in your car. And, you can only get auto insurance help from private companies. Luckily, finding the perfect policy can easily be done online.
- Find motorcycle insurance.
- Just because it has less wheels doesn't mean you need less coverage. Insurance is compulsory for motorcycle riders, too, but the best possible plan for you is only a click away.
- Get a vehicle history report and VIN check.
- Don't make a vehicle part of your future without checking into its past. A vehicle history report—available only through outside businesses—can fill you in on all the details that a seller may be wary to disclose. You can order one without ever leaving home, and get information on:
NJ License & Personal Records
You can find driver's license and personal record information online with help from the NJ MVC or by utilizing the expertise of other businesses.
- Change the address on your:
- New Jersey driver's license.
- NJ state identification card.
- Request your driving history.
- Schedule a road test.
- Look up driving records.
- Using a private party for this service instead of the state can save you the time and frustration that often accompany going through bureaucratic government processes.
- Prevent identity theft.
- It's the world's fastest-growing crime. Don't become its next victim. Being proactive about preventing identity theft will help ensure your private information stays that way.
- Change your name.
- Deciding to change your name is a big deal, but going through the process of changing it doesn't have to be. You can order new identification to match your new moniker all without ever leaving home.
- Commission a background check.
- Putting together this type of report takes enormous amounts of time, patience, and, in many cases, insider knowledge. An experienced third-party vendor will have all of those traits and will make sure to put your needs first.
- Obtain a criminal record check.
- Getting one of these documents usually involves navigating tricky law enforcement protocols and spending a lot of time in line or on the phone. Give yourself that time and energy back by letting a private company take care of the task for you.
- Find court records.
- Notoriously tricky to track down, these records can be much more easily found by companies trained to do just that. And the entire process can be handled online, making the process even simpler.
- Get public records.
- Trying to find public records in the sea of available paperwork can be reminiscent of playing "Where's Waldo?" Skip the search and let a trained third party track down the information for you.
- Order vital records.
- They're called vital for a reason: you can't get most higher forms of identification without producing at least one of these documents. Luckily, they're just a click away when you use an outside company to help you. You can order any of the following online:
- Birth records.
- Death records.
- Divorce records.
- Marriage records.
- Get your international driver's permit.
- Want to drive when you arrive? The process can be a lot to heap on top of the already complicated planning of an overseas trek. But it doesn't have to be, if you utilize the expertise of a third-party vendor.
Driver's Ed in New Jersey
You can only access these services through designated private companies in New Jersey. Whether you're hoping to save time and money by acing your driving test on the first try or save lives by learning the safest way to drive, these courses and materials can help you get there. You can purchase any of the following in New Jersey.
- Driver's license and learner's permits:
- Mature driving courses.
- Defensive driving courses.
- Boater education courses.
Inspection Services in New Jersey
Having an up-to-date inspection sticker is very important. As this process is run by the state in New Jersey, only the MVC offers inspection-related services at this time. Check out the MVC website for information on utilizing the the following services.
- Check inspection wait times.
- Find a private inspection facility.
- Find a state inspection facility.
- Schedule an inspection.
NJ Miscellaneous Services
There are plenty more transactions the NJ MVC and private parties can help you accomplish from your computer.
- Pay a traffic ticket/surcharge.
- Register as an organ donor.
- Establish next-of-kin.
- Hire a DUI attorney.
- Facing a charge this serious is one of the most stressful situations a driver can find himself or herself in. Making sure you have a competent attorney to help you through the process is hugely important, and thankfully, as easy as clicking your mouse.
- Fast-track your passport.
- Waiting for the government to process your passport can take weeks or even months. Don't reschedule your vacation—find a company that works on your timeline instead. Experienced private businesses can get your passport back in no time.