New to New Jersey

SUMMARY: New Residents to New Jersey

Once you move to New Jersey, you'll need to visit your local DMV office and obtain a NJ driver's license/ID card and register your car. You'll need to provide various documents as well as payment for the required fees. As a new resident, you may also choose to register as an organ donor or register to vote.

This guide will help you complete all the tasks you need to with the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC).

New Jersey State Departments

Most drivers refer to their state departments that deal with vehicle-related services as their DMV; however, not all states use this acronym. New Jersey is one of these states.

The main license and vehicle agency in NJ is the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), and it handles such services as:

  • Driver's licenses and state ID cards.
  • Vehicle registration and titling.
  • Boat registration.
  • License plates and parking placards.
  • Address changes.

In New Jersey, the Division of Elections regulates elections and voter registration. The Division provides information on topics such as:

  • Voter eligibility.
  • How to register.
  • Military and overseas voting.
  • Information on candidates.
  • Election dates and polling places.

Note that you can also register to vote at your local MVC location when you transfer your out-of-state driver's license.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Register Your Car in New Jersey

Within 60 days of becoming a New Jersey resident, the MVC requires that you register your car in the state. You will need to visit your local NJ MVC office in person and provide the necessary documents and payment. You cannot register your car online or by mail. For more information, visit our Car Registration in New Jersey page.

If you have a special vehicle, your registration requirements may differ. Special vehicles include recreational vehicles (RVs), mopeds, and off-road vehicles. Visit our Special Vehicles in New Jersey page for information.

Required Car Insurance

Before the NJ MVC will allow you to register your car, you'll need to provide proof that you have a current car insurance policy. You can compare rates and find the best value for your situation on our Car Insurance page.

Required Inspections

In New Jersey, the MVC requires that all used cars undergo an emissions inspection every 2 years. New cars need to be inspected once they are 5 years old. For more information, please refer to our Car Inspections in New Jersey page.

NJ Driver's License & ID Cards

Adult Drivers

If you have an out-of-state driver's license, you must transfer it for a NJ driver's license within 60 days of moving to the state. You will need to visit your local NJ MVC office in person and surrender your previous driver's license. You will not need to take the knowledge and road test.

Teen Drivers

If you're a teenager, you'll need to complete the state's graduated driver license (GDL) program before you can be issued a NJ driver's license.

For more information about obtaining a driver's license in NJ, visit our following pages:

Identification Cards

If you don't plan on driving in New Jersey, you can apply for an ID card from the MVC instead of a driver's license. For a list of documents you'll need to bring and fees associated, see our Identification Cards in New Jersey page.

Organ Donation & Voting in NJ

If you want to be a registered organ donor in New Jersey, visit our Organ Donation page to register today. Even if you were registered as a donor in your previous state, you'll still need to re-register in New Jersey, as each state keeps its own registry.

If you're unsure about registering and would like to learn more, you can read about how this selfless acts saves lives on our Organ Donation Facts page.

Would you like to be eligible to vote in the next election? Make sure you're registered to vote by the deadline date. Visit our Voter Registration page for more information.

Military Members Stationed in NJ

If you're an active-duty military member temporarily stationed in New Jersey, you may be exempt from some of the licensing and registration requirements. See our Military Drivers page for information that may apply to both you and your spouse and/or dependents.

DMV Office Locations & Resources

Our DMV Office Finder will help you locate any MVC office in the state. All you have to do is enter your zip code.

For additional information, see the NJ MVC's driving manuals:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review