Paperwork When Selling a Car in New Jersey

Paperwork Required to Sell a Car in New Jersey

If you're looking to sell a vehicle in New Jersey, it's a pretty simple process. This page is dedicated to explaining the paperwork needed to complete a sale. In addition, you'll get a basic understanding of the process. For more information about selling your car, please refer to this useful guide.

Selling a Vehicle in New Jersey

The seller and the buyer will have different responsibilities in the sale of a vehicle.

As the seller, you must:

  • Remove the vehicle's license plates and surrender them to any NJ Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) office or regional service center, provided the plates are not being transferred to another vehicle.
  • Sign the back of the title, and include the following information:
  • Name and address of the buyer.
  • Date of sale.
  • Mileage odometer reading.
    • If there is no room on the title or there is a discrepancy in the reading you must also fill out and sign a Universal Title Application (Form OS/SS-UTA).
  • Sale price of the vehicle.
  • Transfer the title within 10 business days from the actual date of the sale.

The buyer must:

  • Sign the back of the vehicle title and include his or her NJ driver's license number.
  • Go to any New Jersey MVC office to officially transfer the title, complete registration, and receive their new license plates.
  • Pay the required $60 fee.
  • $85 for a title with a lien.

Required Documents

When selling a car in New Jersey, you will only need the original certificate of title, with all of the information filled out on the rear side of it. However, if the vehicle has liens or is exempt from sales tax, other documentation will be needed. The buyer will need to provide proof of insurance and sales tax payment.

Duplicate Title in New Jersey

If the title for the vehicle you are selling has been lost or damaged, you can get a replacement by completing an Application for Duplicate Certificate of Ownership (Form OS/SS-52) and paying the $60 fee.

For more information, visit our Replacing a Lost Title in New Jersey page.

Duplicate Registration in New Jersey

Replacing a lost registration can be done by visiting any motor vehicle agency in New Jersey. You will need acceptable proof of age and identification, such as a NJ driver's license. If you are not the vehicle owner, you will need a notarized statement of consent from the legal owner to authorize a replacement registration to another individual. At the New Jersey MVC office, complete the following steps:

  • Provide a New Jersey insurance identification card or a receipt from a previous title or registration transaction.
  • Fill out an Application for Vehicle Registration (Form BA-49).
    • IMPORTANT NOTE: Co-owned vehicles will need signatures from both the owner and the co-owner.
  • Pay the $5 duplicate registration fee.

For more information, see our Replacing a Lost Registration in New Jersey page.

Transferring License Plates After a Sale

If you want to keep your license plates, you can transfer them to another car that you own. However, if you have sold your vehicle and do not wish to transfer your former license plates to a new car, you are required to surrender your old plates to the NJ MVC.

New Jersey Lemon Law

New Jersey has a lemon law for both new and used cars. The used car lemon law (UCLL) protects and helps consumers when they experience repetitive problems from motor vehicles that are under warranty from licensed dealers. The law requires dealers to base the limitations of the vehicle's warranty on the mileage at the time it was purchased.

For more information about the lemon law and how it could effect you as a seller, visit our Lemon Law in New Jersey page.


Registration Application
Request a replacement NJ registration if yours has been lost. Form must be obtained from an MVC office. Not available online.
Application for Duplicate Certificate of Ownership Form
Request a duplicate NJ car title from the MVC.
Universal Title Application
Apply for a certificate of ownership (title)and odometer reading through the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review