Bill of Sale Requirements in New Jersey
Custom New Jersey Bill of Sale for $4.99
Simplifing the sale of a vehicle between private parties. Just enter the info, then download and print. It's that easy!
- State specific for your transaction
- Quick auto-fill feature
- Just fill out, print, and sign
NJ Bill of Sale Basics
When you sell a vehicle in New Jersey, you will need to comply with all the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) title transfer requirements in order for the transaction to be valid.
A bill of sale is usually used in cases where the Certificate of Ownership (the title) is unavailable when the sale takes place. This form—which the state does not supply—may also serve as additional proof that a genuine transaction has occurred. Both the buyer and the seller should complete the bill of sale as required.
New Jersey Bill of Sale Specifics
Keep the following in mind:
- If you are the new owner of a vehicle, whether it is new or previously owned, and you set out to register it, you will need to prove to the MVC that you bought it, and from whom.
- In a case when no current title is available, or when you purchase the vehicle from someone other than the last registered owner, a bill of sale may serve as the proof that you purchased the car.
A properly completed bill of sale should include:
- A vehicle description and vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Warranty information.
- The final sale price.
- The buyer and seller's names and signatures.
- The county and state where you bought or sold the vehicle.
Generic Bill of Sale
To assist you in finding a bill of sale form, we have a handy, printable version.