Voter Registration in New Hampshire

Attention: Voter information and identification requirements may change prior to an election. Please check with the Secretary of State to make sure you have the most current information.

To exercise your right to vote in New Hampshire, you must first register to vote in your city or town.

Voter Eligibility in New Hampshire

To register to vote in New Hampshire, you must be:

  • A United States citizen.
  • At least 18 years old by the next election.
  • A resident of the state of New Hampshire.

You can only obtain a voter registration card in the city or town where you live, though there is no minimum amount of time you must have been a resident of that town or ward to be eligible to register.

Voting After a Felony Conviction

Anyone currently incarcerated is ineligible to vote. Once you are no longer incarcerated, on parole, or on probation, your voting rights are restored automatically. You should re-register to vote.

How to Register to Vote in New Hampshire

There are several ways that you can register to vote in the state of New Hampshire.

  • At the city or town clerk's office. You'll be required to provide proof of domicile, citizenship, and age.
  • At your community's Supervisors of the Checklist. The supervisors meet 6 to 13 days before each election. Contact your local clerk for meeting details.
  • At your polling place. This will be done on the day of the election and you will also be required to provide proof of domicile, citizenship, and age.

When you register, you will need to provide documents as proof of:

  • Residency.
  • Identity.
  • Age.
Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Check Registration Status

If you are unsure of your voter registration status, you can check your registration details online with the State of New Hampshire Voter Information Look-up. You will need to enter your:

  • Town or city of residence.
  • Date of birth.
  • First and last name.

Military & Overseas Voter Registration

The Federal Voting Assistance Program allows residents who are in the U.S. military or living overseas to register to vote AND vote in an upcoming election using the Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) (Form 76).

The first time you submit the FPCA, it also serves as your voter registration.

You'll then need to request ballots for future elections or resubmit the application if your location or other details change.

FPCA forms are available:

  • Online.
  • By e-mail.
  • By fax.
  • By mail.

To request an application or complete it online, go to the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.

NOTE: All other eligible voters wishing to vote on an absentee ballot can register using the standard procedures above.

Voter Name or Address Changes

You can change your name and address (if you have moved within the same ward) at:

  • The Supervisors of the Checklist scheduled meeting.
  • Your town or city clerk's office at least 6 to 13 days prior to an election.
  • At the polling place on Election Day with the Supervisors of the Checklist.

If you have moved to a new town or ward, you must re-register to vote. See the section “Register to Vote in New Hampshire" above for more information.

NH Voter ID Law

You are required to present identification at the polling place on Election Day. The most common forms of ID that are accepted are:

  • A driver's license from any state or the federal government.
  • An ID card from the New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or other state DMV.
  • Your U.S. passport.
  • Your U.S. military ID.

Download the State of New Hampshire Voter ID Law Explanatory Document for a complete list of accepted documents and other important information.

If you do not have identification, you can:


Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application
Use this form to register to vote AND/OR request an absentee ballot if you're a U.S. citizen living outside the country.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review