Traffic Tickets in New Hampshire

SUMMARY: New Hampshire Traffic Tickets

In New Hampshire, you may be able to pay your ticket fines online, by mail, by phone, or in person; in some cases, a court appearance may be mandatory. To fight your ticket, you'll likely need to appear in court.

Continue reading this page to learn more about responding to a traffic ticket in New Hampshire.

NOTE: You must respond to your traffic ticket within 30 days of receiving it or you risk additional fines and penalties.

NH Traffic Ticket Fines and Penalties

New Hampshire traffic ticket fines are consistent across the state.

Your traffic ticket should contain the total amount you must pay and any required court appearances.

If you do not have your NH traffic ticket, please contact your county court or call the Bureau of Financial Responsibility at (603) 227-4010 for more details.

NOTE: If you do not pay your traffic ticket payment within 30 days, you'll be charged a $50 late fee and may receive additional penalties.

Driving Record Points

When you're convicted of a traffic violation, you'll receive points on your NH driving record.

The New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will suspend your NH driver’s license if you accumulate too many points within a certain time:

  • Younger than 18 years old: 6 points within 1 calendar year.
  • 18 to 20 years old: 9 points within 1 calendar year.
  • 21 years old and older: 12 points within 1 calendar year.

See our DMV Point System page for more information.

Remove Driving Record Points

If you already accumulated at least 3 points on your NH driving record, you may be able to complete a driver education course to have 3 points removed.

To find out if you're eligible, contact the NH DMV.

Pay a Traffic Ticket in New Hampshire

NOTE: Check your traffic ticket to see whether a court appearance is mandatory.

Depending on the court handling your traffic ticket, you may be able to pay:

  • Online.
  • By mail.
  • By phone.
  • In person.

Visit the NH DMV website for complete instructions.

NOTE: Be sure to respond in time, as you could face additional fines and a driver’s license suspension.

Fight a NH Traffic Ticket

The method to fight your NH traffic ticket differs depending on the type of ticket you received. If your traffic ticket does not indicate to respond to the NH Department of Safety, then contact the court listed for instructions.

If your traffic ticket says to respond to the New Hampshire Department of Safety, you can submit your “ not guilty" plea by mail or in person. You'll need to:

  • Check the “not guilty" box on your ticket.
  • Mail the ticket to:
    NH Department of Safety
    Bureau of Financial Responsibility
    P.O. Box 3838
    Concord, NH 03301
  • Deliver the ticket to the Bureau of Financial Responsibility located at:
    NH Department of Safety
    Bureau of Financial Responsibility
    23 Hazen Drive
    Concord, NH 03305

To get more specific instructions about your violation, check your traffic ticket or visit the NH DMV website.

Lost Your Traffic Ticket?

If you've lost your NH traffic ticket, you'll need to contact the appropriate county court or the Bureau of Financial Responsibility at (603) 227-4010.

Be sure to ask for information about your ticket fines and court costs, due dates, and payment methods.

NOTE: You can also submit a written request with your “not guilty" plea or payment. For specific instructions, please read our page about Lost Traffic Tickets.

Fines & Penalties for Commercial Drivers

As a commercial driver in New Hampshire, you must notify your employer within 30 days of being convicted of a traffic violation. This applies even if you weren't driving your commercial vehicle.

If you're convicted of any of the following major offenses, you'll lose your driving privileges for 1 year:

  • Refusing a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test.
  • Failing to remain at the scene of an accident involving a commercial motor vehicle (CMV).
  • Driving a CMV with a BAC of 0.04% or higher.
  • Driving under the influence of a controlled substance.
  • The nrgligent operation of a CMV which results in a fatality.
  • Driving a CMV if your license has been cancelled, suspended or under revocation or if you have been disqualified from operating a CMV.
  • A felony offense while driving a CMV including distributing, manufacturing or dispensing a controlled substance.

You can read our CDL Suspension page for more information.

New Hampshire Traffic Tickets: FAQs

You can read our Traffic Ticket FAQ page for more details about the following topics:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review