Other Licenses & Endorsements in New Hampshire

Special Licenses in New Hampshire

Depending on what kind of vehicle you want to drive, you may need to apply for a license class or endorsement other than your standard driver's license with the New Hampshire Department of Safety's Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Special licenses classes, such as a commercial driver's license, allow you to:

  • Drive heavy-weight vehicles.
  • Transport a large number of passengers.
  • Carry hazardous materials.
  • Drive for hire.

You'll generally need to:

  • Pay a new licensing or endorsement fee.
  • Pass a specific knowledge test.
  • Pass a driving skills test in the type of vehicle you want to drive.

On this page you'll find basic, general information on some of the different endorsements and classes of driver's licenses available to you.

If you are looking for information on regular, noncommercial driver's licenses, please visit one of our following pages:

New Hampshire Commercial Driver's License

A commercial driver's license (CDL) allows you to:

  • Drive large, heavy vehicles.
  • Transport a large number of passengers.
  • Transport hazardous material.

Certain endorsements allow you to drive school buses and city buses. The class of CDL you obtain will determine which weight class of vehicle you can operate.

For more information on obtaining your first commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in New Hampshire page.

School Bus Drivers in New Hampshire

To drive a school bus in New Hampshire you must:

  • Have your name submitted to the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) on a school employee roster form.
  • Successfully complete driver and criminal background checks.
  • Maintain a clean driving record.
  • Pass a drug test.
  • Pass a school bus knowledge test.
  • Pass a school bus driving test.
  • Hold a commercial driver's license (CDL) and a school bus endorsement.
  • Have a school bus certificate.

To keep your school bus certification, you'll need to re-take your school bus knowledge test periodically.

For more information, please contact the New Hampshire DMV.

Shuttle Drivers

Generally, you do not need a CDL if you drive a shuttle bus or van that carries fewer passengers than the minimum required for a commercial driver's license. You may need a CDL if your shuttle bus meets the qualifications of a commercial vehicle.

Taxi Drivers in New Hampshire

Taxi driver's license requirements are governed by each municipality. You may need to:

  • Have a clean driving record.
  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Become certified and trained as a taxi driver.
  • Pay a licensing fee.
  • Hold a valid driver's license.

For more information, please contact your city clerk or the New Hampshire DMV.


The New Hampshire DMV does not have special licenses for chauffeurs.

New Hampshire Sport Vehicles

Check with your local municipality for information regarding snowmobiles, ATVs, and other recreational vehicles.

Some off-road/sport vehicles may require you to be a minimum age or hold a regular driver's license.

Boats, however, do require registration and proper training. Check this handbook for more information.

Some sport/recreational vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in New Hampshire page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review