Replacing a Lost Title in New Hampshire

Replacing a Lost Title in New Hampshire

No need for chastising yourself for losing your car's title. You can conveniently apply for a duplicate from home, and it takes no more than a few minutes of your time. In New Hampshire, titles are processed by the Division of Motor Vehicles - Bureau of Title and Anti-Theft.

When you want to sell your car, you'll need to supply the vehicle title. Titles can become lost, stolen, damaged or illegible, necessitating their replacement. A duplicate title is easy to acquire with a few forms and supporting documents.

This page will cover all the steps you need to take to get a duplicate title for your vehicle in New Hampshire.

Replacing Your NH Certificate of Title

NOTE: When there is a lien on a title, such as when the vehicle was purchased with a loan, the title is mailed to the lienholder.

Aside from needing a duplicate if you lose your car's title, you'll need it if and when you sell it.

You can apply for a duplicate title by mail or in person at most NH DMV offices. To get a duplicate title:

  • Fill out an Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form TDMV 18).
    • If a vehicle is jointly owned, all of the owners must sign the application for a duplicate title.
  • Provide the drivers license number of all owners.
  • Pay a fee of $25 by check or money order. For more information about payment methods, contact your local NH DMV office.

You can deliver the form and payment to your local DMV office or mail everything to:

NH Department of Safety
DMV - Title Bureau
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

A duplicate title will be mailed to you.

Titles With Liens

If the vehicle has a lien you will also need to include a completed Release of Lien or Other Encumbrances (Form TDMV 20A).

Making Corrections on Your NH Title

When you are filling out the application for a duplicate title in New Hampshire:

  • You will need to update the car's mileage to reflect the current odometer reading.
  • You can also update your current mailing address. See Change Your Address below for more information.
  • If you have gotten married or divorced and have changed your name, you will need to update it with the Social Security Administration and the DMV before you can change it on a vehicle title.

To have a title transferred from a lienholder to you, use the section of the application labeled "Release of Lien of Other Encumberances."

You will need to provide proof that you have paid for the vehicle in full.

Change Your Address

If you have moved, you will need to make sure that your NH drivers license reflects your current address.

Please note, your drivers license is required when applying for a duplicate title. Your new vehicle title will be mailed to that address.

There is a $25 fee.

For more details about this process, you can visit our page about Changing Your Address in New Hampshire.

Buying a Vehicle Without a Title

If the vehicle you're purchasing is exempt from having a NH vehicle title, be sure to obtain:

  • A properly executed Bill of Sale.
  • A current/expired New Hampshire certificate of registration.

You will need to apply for a new title in your name at the office of your local town or city clerk. Your next step is registering your vehicle.


Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title
Request a replacement vehicle title from the NH Division of Motor Vehicles. Can also be used to release a lien.
Release of Lien or Other Encumbrances
Complete this form when transferring ownership of a vehicle without a New Hampshire car title.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review