Replacing a Lost License in New Hampshire

Replacing a Lost License in New Hampshire

If your New Hampshire driver's license or ID card has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you need to request a duplicate from the NH Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) right away. It is illegal to drive in NH without a driver's license, so the longer you wait, the longer you are unable to drive.

Also, losing a major form of ID can compromise your identity, so you may consider reporting it to your local police.

Report a Lost or Stolen NH License or ID Card

While NH does not require you to report a lost or stolen ID, filing a police report may help prevent someone else from assuming and using your identity.

If you're concerned your license or ID is in the wrong hands, you can learn additional tips to protect your identity by reading our page on preventing identity theft.

Apply for a Replacement NH Driver's License

Unless you are a NH resident currently traveling out-of-state or stationed abroad as part of the military, you must apply in person at your local DMV office. (See below for out-of-state replacement, along with instructions for military members.)

To apply for a duplicate license or ID card in New Hampshire, visit any NH DMV office and:

Once you've taken the steps above, the NH DMV will mail you your permanent license or ID card.

Proof of Identity

If you have a photo on file with the DMV, it will most likely be enough to verify your identity.

However, if you've requested to have your photo removed from the system or if your identity cannot be confirmed by your photo, you'll be asked to present:

  • 1 document showing proof of identity such as an original birth certificate.
  • 1 document showing proof of a Social Security number such as a Social Security card.
  • Proof of NH residency (e.g. lease, current utility bill, NH vehicle registration, etc.).

Out-of-State and Military NH Driver's License Replacement

If you are temporarily away from the state, you have the option of applying for a duplicate license by mail. There is no option to apply online.

To apply by mail:

Mail everything to:

NH Department of Safety
DMV – Driver Licensing
23 Hazen Drive
Concord NH 03305

Once the DMV receives your application, they will mail you a temporary duplicate license that you can use for 6 months. It will be mailed to your out-of-state address that you put on your Out-of-State Residence form (see above). Once you return to New Hampshire, you'll need to go into a DMV office to complete the process and get your permanent duplicate driver's license.

Note for non-U.S. citizens: If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must visit a DMV office for any transaction, so unfortunately you cannot apply by mail. For questions about non-U.S. citizen driver's licenses or ID cards, contact the Non-U.S. Citizen office at:

NH Department of Safety
DMV - Non-US Citizen Office
23 Hazen Drive
Concord NH 03305
(603) 227-4020

Active Military Members

If you are stationed abroad as a member of the military, you may apply for a duplicate license or a license renewal as many times by mail as you need to while you're serving.

The steps and fees involved with applying for a duplicate license are the same as for other NH residents living out of state. See above to learn how to apply.

NH Commercial Driver's License Replacement (CDL)

You cannot operate a commercial vehicle without a commercial driver's license (CDL). If yours has been lost or stolen, be sure to begin the process of replacing it right away.

The steps to replace a CDL are the same as above; however, instead of completing a standard driver's license application, you'll fill out the Commercial Driver's License (CDL) application (Form DSMV 312).


DSMV 312
Commercial Drivers License Application
Apply for an original, renewal, duplicate, OR replacement New Hampshire CDL.
Application for Drivers License or Non-Driver ID Card
Apply for an original, renewal, OR duplicate NH driver's license, identification card, motorcycle endorsement, OR limited privilege license.
DSMV 594
Out-of-State Residence
If you'll temporarily reside outside New Hampshire and need driver and/or vehicle documents (e.g. driver's license, title, registration) mailed to your out-of-state residence, submit this form to the DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review