Moving Out of State in New Hampshire

Registration Refund

The New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) only offers registration refunds if you haven't used your license plates. Otherwise, it's too late.

If you do fit into that category, you may apply for a refund by sending your unused decals and plates, along with your refund request, to:

  • New Hampshire Department of Safety
  • Division of Motor Vehicles
  • 23 Hazen Drive
  • Concord, NH 03305

You must do so within 90 days of having your registration issued.

For questions, call (603) 227-4000.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

License Plates

You do not need to surrender your license plates if you move out of state.

Things to Do When You Move to a New State

  • Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency, most states require that this be done within a set amount of time, usually ranging between 30 and 60 days.
  • Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set number of days after establishing residency.
  • Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
  • Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title generally, depending on your state, is not mandatory. You will need an updated title if you ever choose to sell your vehicle.
  • Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address.
  • Notify your leasing company, if your vehicle is leased.
  • Research any vehicle inspections or emission tests required by your new state.
  • And make things easy on yourself. Visit our New to Your State? section for specifics.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review