Registration Renewal in New Hampshire

Renew Your Vehicle Registration in New Hampshire

In New Hampshire, you must renew your vehicle registration with the NH Department of Safety Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Keep reading to find out how to complete a registration renewal, have your vehicle inspected, and replace your registration and license plates in New Hampshire.

To check the status of your registration renewal, please contact the New Hampshire DMV.

NH Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice

The NH DMV will mail you a vehicle registration renewal notice before your current registration expires.

In order to renew your registration, you'll need to have this renewal notice OR your current motor vehicle registration.

Renew Your NH Vehicle Registration

DID YOU KNOW?: Proof of car insurance may be REQUIRED when renewing your registration!

Compare rates and buy your policy online: Open the Insurance Center >>

To renew your vehicle registration in New Hampshire, take the following in person to your local NH DMV office (must be in the county you live in):

  • Current vehicle registration.
  • Registration renewal notice.
  • Payment for your renewal fee. (See “Fees to Renew Your NH Vehicle Registration" below).

NOTE: Make sure you have had your vehicle safety and emissions inspected. See “Vehicle Inspections in New Hampshire" below.

Fees for New Hampshire Registration Renewal

The fees to renew your vehicle registration in New Hampshire depend on what county you reside in. You will need to pay both state fees as well as town/city fees.

Your registration renewal fee will be displayed on your renewal notice.

For more information about registration renewal fees in New Hampshire, call the NH DMV at (603) 227-4030.

NOTE: You must pay your town or city fees before you pay your registration fees.

Accepted Payment Methods

For in-person renewals, the NH DMV accepts payment by:

  • Cash.
  • Check.
  • Money order or travelers check.
  • MasterCard or VISA debit/credit card.

If you are out of state and renewing by mail, payment must be made by check or money order only. Do not send cash.

Out-of-State and Military Renewals

If you're going to be temporarily out of state when your vehicle registration expires, including for military duties or college requirements, you can renew it up to 4 months before the expiration date.

Send the following to your local NH city clerk office:

  • Current vehicle registration.
  • Registration renewal notice.
  • Payment for your renewal fee. (See “Fees to Renew Your NH Vehicle Registration" below).

NOTE: Be sure to include your out-of-state mailing address where you want your registration to be mailed to.

Vehicle Inspection

If your vehicle inspection expires while you are out of state, you can apply for an inspection permit.

You will need to fax a written request to the NH DMV at (603) 271-1061 or mail it to:

DMV - Registration
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

Vehicle Inspections in New Hampshire

Your New Hampshire vehicle must be inspected for safety and emissions every year. This must be done no later than 10 days after your birth month, even if your original inspection sticker has not expired.

The inspection must be done at a state-licensed inspection station in New Hampshire. Your vehicle inspection may cost you anywhere from $20 to $50 per inspection.

The following will be inspected during your vehicle inspection:

  • On-board diagnostics (OBD) system (applies only to vehicles with a 1996 model year or newer).
  • Emissions.
  • Registration, plates, and registration certificate.
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • Steering and suspension components.
  • Brakes.
  • Odometer and speedometer.
  • Lights and reflectors.
  • Electrical system, defroster, and horn.
  • Glass and mirrors.
  • Wipers.
  • Tires and wheels.
  • Exhaust system.
  • Body, chassis, and bumper height.
  • Fuel system.

For more information, please refer to the NH DMV Inspections and Emissions page.

Duplicate NH Registration or License Plates

Duplicate Registration

If your registration is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can request a duplicate from the New Hampshire DMV.

You will need to submit an Application for Copy of Registration (Form RDMV110) and payment (see “Fees to Renew Your NH Vehicle Registration" above) to the New Hampshire DMV office.

License Plate and Registration Decals

If you need to replace your NH license plates or decals, you'll need to submit an Application for Replacement Plates and/or Decals (Form RDMV 125) and payment (see “Fees to Renew Your NH Vehicle Registration" above) to a NH DMV office.

The New Hampshire DMV will issue you:

  • A paper license plate and permit for you to use until your replacement plate is ready, if you only need to replace one license plate.
  • Both replacement license plates immediately, if you need to replace both.


Application for Copy of Registration
Request a replacement vehicle or vessel registration card from the New Hampshire DMV if the original was lost, destroyed, illegible, or needs correcting.
RDMV 125
Application for Replacement Plates and Decals
Request replacement license plates AND/OR vehicle registration decals from the New Hampshire DMV if the originals were stolen, lost, destroyed, or traded.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review