New to New Hampshire

SUMMARY: New Residents to New Hampshire

If you're new to New Hampshire, you'll need to take care of some tasks soon after arriving. You'll need to obtain a NH driver's license/ID card, register your out-of-state car, and register to vote. Also make sure to update your car insurance, and undergo emissions and safety inspections on your vehicle.

Continue reading this page for a quick guide on how to complete these transactions with the NH Department of Safety Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

New Hampshire State Agencies

The New Hampshire Department of Safety's Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is your state's main vehicle-related agency. They provide services that include, but are not limited to:

  • Driver licensing and state ID card administration.
  • Name and address changes.
  • Regulation and issuance of motor vehicle records.
  • Vehicle titling and registration.
  • Issuance of license plates and handicapped parking placards.
  • VIN verification.

Additionally, you may interact with the New Hampshire Secretary of State, should you register to vote and participate in any NH election.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Register Your Car in New Hampshire

If you're bringing your car from your previous state to New Hampshire with you, you'll need to have it registered with the NH DMV within 60 days of becoming a resident. You will need to present your certificate of title and proof of your NH residency to the DMV in person. For more information, see our Car Registration in New Hampshire page.

If you have a special vehicle, such as a motorhome, moped, or off-road vehicle, your registration and licensing requirements may differ. Visit our Special Vehicles page for more information.

Car Insurance

Along updating your liability auto insurance to New Hampshire, Moving to a new state presents an excellent opportunity to see if you're getting the best value from your insurance policy provider. You can check rates from the names you trust on our Car Insurance in New Hampshire page.

Required Car Inspections

The New Hampshire DMV takes their inspections seriously. Not only do you have to undergo a safety inspection, but you'll also have to do an emissions inspection if your car is a 1996 model year or newer. You can learn more on ourCar Inspections in New Hampshire page.

NH Driver's License & ID Cards

If you have an out-of-state driver's license, you must transfer it for a New Hampshire license within 60 days of moving to the state. You'll need to visit the NH DMV in person, surrender your out-of-state driver's license, and pay the required fee. You will also need to pass the vision exam as well as submit any other required documents. See our Applying for a New License in New Hampshire page for complete instructions.

If you're a teenager with an out-of-state learner's permit, you may be able to transfer it over to NH as long as the driving training you received meets the NH DMV's graduated driver's licensing (GDL) program requirements.

NOTE: If you need a commercial driver's license (CDL), see our Applying for a New CDL page.

Identification Cards

If you're a new resident to New Hampshire and you don't plan on driving, you can apply for an identification card from the DMV. In order to get one, you'll need to visit your local NH DMV office in person and identity and residency documents and payment. You can learn more about this process on our Identification Cards in New Hampshire page.

Organ Donor & Voter Registration

If you were registered as an organ donor in your previous state, you'll need to re-register in New Hampshire. Each state keeps its own registry and your details aren't automatically transferred when you move. If you aren't registered as an organ donor, you can read our Organ Donation page to learn more about what a gift it can be to others.

The same thing goes for registering to vote. Even if you were registered as a voter in your previous state, you'll still need to register again in New Hampshire. Visit our Voter Registration page for more information.

Military Members Stationed in NH

If you're an active-duty member of the U.S. military, you may be exempt from some of the state-imposed requirements for vehicle registration and driver's licensing. See our Military Drivers in New Hampshire page for more information.

DMV Office Locations & Resources

If you're wondering where the closest DMV office is to your home or place of work, use our handy DMV Office Finder.

You can also find additional helpful information and road rules in the New Hampshire DMV's driving manuals:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review