Identification Cards in New Hampshire

Lost or Stolen Driver's License?

LifeLock Identity Protection starting at $9.99/mo

Our proprietary technology alerts you to a wide range of identity threats.

  • SSN and Credit Alerts
  • Bank & Credit Card Activity Alerts
  • Alerts on Crimes in Your Name
  • 10% Off Your First Year

No one can prevent all identity theft. † LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses. Terms and applicable taxes apply.

Start Your Identification Card Paperwork

Our step-by-step process is easy to follow, making your ID card application a breeze! Get yourself prepared BEFORE you visit the DMV.
On This Page

SUMMARY: New Hampshire Identification Cards

You must apply, renew, and replace your NH ID card in person at a DMV office. You will need to provide various documents proving your identity and NH residency when you apply for the first time or need a replacement card. Non-driver ID cards cost $10 and are valid for 5 years.

Continue reading this page to learn more about non-driver ID cards from the New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

ID Card Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a non-driver identification card in New Hampshire, you must:

  • Be a New Hampshire resident.
  • Have lawful status in the U.S.
  • Not have a valid U.S. driver's license, unless you are 65 years old or older.
  • Be 12 years old or older.

NOTE: If you are on any of the following temporary visas, you are not eligible for a NH ID card:

  • H-1.
  • F-1.
  • J-1.
  • Tourist.

Apply for a NH Identification Card

NOTE: If you're not a U.S. citizen, please follow the “Non-U.S. Citizens" instructions below.

You must apply for a New Hampshire state ID card in person at a NH DMV office. You will need to:

NOTE: Visit the NH DMV website for a complete list of accepted documents for U.S. citizens.

The New Hampshire DMV will give you a temporary ID card valid for 60 days to use until your permanent card arrives in the mail.

Non-U.S. Citizens

If you're not a U.S. citizen, your application requirements will differ depending on your legal status.

Temporary Residents

If you're temporarily in NH on a visa, you must apply for an ID card in person at the Concord DMV office. You will need to provide:

  • Your valid passport and visa.
  • I-94 print out.
  • I-20 form, if you have a F-1 visa.
  • 2019 form and employment letter, if you have a J-1 visa.
  • Other supporting documents, if you have a K-1 visa.
  • Your Social Security card or letter of ineligibility.
  • Proof of your NH residency.
  • A completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form DSMV450).
  • Payment for the $10 fee.

For more information for temporary U.S. residents, please visit the New Hampshire DMV website.

Permanent Residents

If you're a permanent U.S. resident (e.g. permanent resident, Employment Authorization card holder), you will need to apply for an ID card at the Concord DMV office with:

Visit the NH DMV website for complete instructions for permanent residents.

Renew a New Hampshire State ID Card

New Hampshire non-driver ID cards are valid for 5 years at a time and expire on your birthday.

You must renew your ID card in person at a NH DMV office and:

If your NH DMV ID card has been expired for longer than 1 year, you will also need to submit proof of your:

  • Identity (1 document).
  • NH address (2 documents).

A complete list of required documents can be found on the NH DMV website.

NOTE: Renewals are not offered online or by mail.

You will be issued a temporary ID card valid for 60 days that you can use until your permanent photo ID card is sent to you.

Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged ID Card

If you've lost your NH state ID card, you can apply for a replacement either in person or by mail (if you're out of state).

You cannot apply for a replacement non-driver ID card online.

In Person

To apply for a replacement ID card in person, visit a NH DMV office and:

Your duplicate ID card will be mailed to you. In the meantime, you will be issued a temporary non-driver ID card valid for 60 days.

NOTE: You cannot request a replacement non-driver ID card by mail or online.

By Mail

If you're outside of New Hampshire and need a replacement non-driver ID card, you'll need:

Send the above forms and payment to:

NH Department of Safety
DMV – Driver Licensing
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

You will be sent a temporary state ID card to your out-of-state address to use. You must apply for a permanent replacement ID card in person when you return to New Hampshire.

Change Your Name or Address

If you've changed your name—whether due to marriage, divorce, or other reason—you must update your NH ID card in person within 10 days of the change.

If you change your address, you must notify the New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 10 days either by mail or in person at a DMV office. You aren't required to replace your ID card, but if you want to, you must change your address in person.

For complete instructions, visit our following pages:


DSMV450 Application for Drivers License or Non-Driver ID Card

Apply for an original, renewal, OR duplicate NH driver's license, identification card, motorcycle endorsement, OR limited privilege license.

Download Open the form
DSMV 594 Out-of-State Residence

If you'll temporarily reside outside New Hampshire and need driver and/or vehicle documents (e.g. driver's license, title, registration) mailed to your out-of-state residence, submit this form to the DMV.

Download Open the form

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG