Name Change in New Hampshire
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Continue reading this page to find out how to change your name with the New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and how to obtain updated documents.
Change Your Name with the SSA
Before changing your name with the NH DMV, you should update your name on Social Security Administration (SSA) records. You will need:
- Proof of your:
- Identity (e.g. ID card, driver's license, passport).
- U.S. citizenship OR lawful presence (e.g. birth certificate, work permit and I-94 print out, citizenship certificate).
- Name change (e.g. marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree).
- An Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
A complete list of required documents for a corrected Social Security card can be found on the SSA website.
Submit the above documents either in person or by mail to your local SSA office.
Once your application has been processed and approved, you should receive an updated Social Security card in the mail within 14 business days.
NH Driver's License/ID Card Name Change
If you change your name in New Hampshire, you must notify the NH DMV within 10 days and get an updated driver's license. You'll need to visit your local DMV office in person and:
- Submit a completed Record Change Request (Form DSMV 30).
- Surrender your current NH driver's license.
- Show proof of your name, such as your:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Court order.
- Have your photo taken.
You will be given a temporary driver's license to use for up to 60 days or until your free permanent driver's license arrives in the mail.
Car Registration & Title Name Change
To change your name on your vehicle's New Hampshire certificate of title, visit your local NH city clerk’s office in person with your current title certificate. The clerk will give you a New Title Application (Form TDMV 23A).
You will then need to submit the following to the NH DMV:
- The completed New Title Application (Form TDMV 23A).
- Current certificate of title.
- A written note explaining why you are making a change to your title certificate.
- Payment for the $25 fee.
For instructions on how to change the name on your registration, contact the NH DMV.
Fees to Change Your Name in NH
In New Hampshire, it is free to change your name on your driver's license.
You will need to pay a $25 fee to change your name on your title certificate. Contact the New Hampshire DMV for fees to make a name change on your car registration.
NH Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices accept payment by:
- MasterCard, VISA, and American Express credit card.
- Personal check, money order, and traveler's check (payable to “State of NH DMV").
Change Your New Hampshire Address
Within 10 days of changing your New Hampshire address, you must notify the DMV. You can do this either in person or by mail.
Instructions can be found on our Change of Address in New Hampshire page.