Title Transfers in Nebraska

New to Nebraska

When you move to Nebraska, you have 30 days to title your car with the NE Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

To apply for your vehicle title, submit the following to your local county DMV office:

  • Proof of ownership through one of the following:
    • Title certificate from previous state.
    • Registration and notarized bill of sale, if your previous state does not issue vehicle titles.
    • Other valid documents approved by the NE DMV.
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title (Form RV-707).
  • Vehicle inspection form:
    • You will be required to pass an inspection of your vehicle identification number (VIN) and odometer reading.
  • Payment for the $10 titling fee.

Out-of-State Vehicles with Liens

If your car has a lien on it, you will need to ask your county DMV office to contact your lender and have the title sent to their office. Make sure to have the DMV photocopy the title so that you can use it to get your car inspected. Once your title application is processed, the new title will be sent back to your lender.

Buying or Selling a Car in Nebraska

Buying a New Car

In Nebraska, you must title your car within 30 days of the purchase date.

To complete a title transfer, submit the following to your county DMV office:

  • Proof of ownership:
    • Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) for new cars that have not been titled.
    • Title certificate properly assigned to you by the seller.
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title (Form RV-707).
  • Payment for the $10 title fee. ($7 Lien notation fee if applicable)

Buying a Used Car

Submit the following to your county treasurer within 30 days of purchase to complete the transfer of ownership for a used car:

Selling a Car in Nebraska

While it is the buyer's responsibility to complete the NE vehicle title transfer, as the seller you must provide the buyer with the following:

  • The title certificate.
    • You must complete the seller portion and odometer disclosure portion of the title.
  • A bill of sale or Nebraska Sales/Use Tax and Tire Fee Statement for Motor Vehicle and Trailer Sales (Form 6MB) (available at any county treasurer's office).

If you incorrectly input information on the title certificate, you cannot make corrections. Instead, you must order a duplicate title certificate and complete the title assignment on the replacement.

Inherited Vehicles

The steps to title transfer an inherited car in Nebraska may differ depending on how you inherited the car.

Joint Owner with Rights of Ownership

If you are listed as a joint owner on the vehicle title, and the names on the title are separated by “ OR" or with the notation “with rights of ownership", you may complete the title transfer under your sole possession by submitting the following to the DMV:

NOTE: If you are listed as a joint owner with “AND" or “AND/OR" between the names, you do not have rights of ownership and the vehicle may be subject to probate.

Transfer on Death Beneficiary

If you are named as a “Transfer on Death" (TOD) beneficiary on the deceased's title application, you can either:

  • Title the car under your name.
  • Transfer it as a seller by completing the title assignment as “TOD."

To complete a title transfer, submit the following:

Probated Estate

If an estate is being probated, the title must be transferred by the court-appointed administer of the estate.

To complete the change of ownership, the following must be submitted:

No Probate

If the estate is not probated and there are no joint owners with rights or survivorship, or TOD beneficiaries, ownership of the vehicle may be transferred to a claiming successor.

In order to transfer the title:

  • 30 days must have passed since death.
  • No appointment is pending or has been granted for an estate:
    • Administrator
    • Executor.
    • Personal representative.

To complete a title transfer, submit the following to the designated official in your county:

Out-of-State Decedent

Nebraska will accept a title from a deceased out-of-state resident if it is properly assigned by the court-appointed administer of estate AND has the letter of appointment from the court attached.

Non-Resident Vehicle Titles

Nebraska will distribute vehicle titles to non-residents of the states who fall under one of the following categories:

  • Members of the military who are stationed in Nebraska.
  • Out-of-state leasing companies that lease cars in Nebraska.
  • Businesses based in another state that do business in Nebraska requiring the use of vehicles housed in Nebraska.

For information on applying for your non-resident title, you can contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at (402) 471-3918.

Duplicate Titles in Nebraska

If you have lost or mutilated your Nebraska title, you can apply for a duplicate title by completing an Application for Duplicate Certification of Title (Form RV-707a) and submitting it to any county treasurer's office along with the $14 duplicate title fee.

NE Vehicle Titling Fees

The following are basic titling fees in Nebraska:

  • Title: $10.
  • Lien notation: $7.
  • Duplicate title: $14.
  • Sales tax: Varies by county.


Application for Certificate of Title
Application for a Nebraska vehicle OR motorboat title with the DMV.
Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title
Request a duplicate vehicle OR motorboat title from the NE Department of Motor Vehicles.
Sales/Use Tax and Tire Fee Statement for Motor Vehicle And Trailer Sales
Submit this form to disclose the amount of sales tax and tire fees paid on a vehicle or trailer you purchased. Not available online. Must be ordered from the Nebraska Department of Revenue.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review