Other Licenses & Endorsements in Nebraska

Special Driver's Licenses in Nebraska

The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers different driver's license classes and endorsements for different types of vehicles and driving purposes.

Special license classes and endorsements allow you to drive heavy vehicles, transport a large number of passengers and drive professionally.

To obtain a new class of license or endorsement, you'll generally need to:

  • Pass a special written test.
  • Pass a driving test in the type of vehicle you want to drive.
  • Pay additional licensing fees.

For information about obtaining a regular driver's license, please visit our pages on:

Large Passenger Vehicles and Buses in NE

If you wish to operate a vehicle that accommodates at least 16 passengers, including yourself, you need a commercial driver's license (CDL). Such vehicles include buses and shuttles. (A school bus is, however, a bus of a different color―see below.) You may need additional passenger endorsements if you want to drive a bus.

For more information about applying for a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Nebraska page.

Nebraska School Bus Permit

You need a school bus permit if:

  • You want to transport children to school, regardless of the number.
  • The Board of Education is providing the transportation, i.e. the service.

In other words, if you're a dad who gives his daughter and all of her friends a ride to school in your own personal van, you do not need a school bus permit.

Generally, you'll need to:

  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Maintain a clean driving record.
  • Become certified and trained as a school bus driver.
  • Take a school bus driver written test.
  • Pass a driving test in a school bus.

For more information, please contact the Nebraska DMV.

In the Nebraska Driver's Manual, you'll find a thorough outline of the who, what, when, where, why, and how of the application process.

Small Passenger Vehicles and Shuttle Vans

To drive a vehicle that accommodates fewer than 16 passengers (including yourself), such as a limousine or taxi, all you need is a regular Class O Nebraska driver's license.

The chauffeur or taxi company for which you work may require you to enroll in some special training. The company will inform you of this during your application process.

You should also check with your county or city clerk's office for more information on:

  • Additional testing requirements.
  • Licensing fees.
  • Background checks.
  • Fingerprinting.
  • Driving record requirements.

Nebraska Sports & Off-Road Vehicles


Whether it's a traditional motorcycle or a three-wheeled motor vehicle, you need a motorcycle license or endorsement to legally operate it.

As long as you're at least 18 years old, or 17 years old and have had a provisional operator's permit for 1 year, you can apply for a Class M motorcycle license. If you already have a driver's license, you can simply add a Class M endorsement.

Scooters and Mopeds

You don't need a license to operate a moped; however, you do need a license to operate a motor scooter in Nebraska. We've dedicated a special section for other types of motorcycles to help you along the way.


Because all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are for off-road use on private property only, you don't need a special license. The Nebraska DMV covers ATV rules and regulations at length.


You need a special permit to operate a snowmobile in Nebraska. Simply go to your local driver license exam office and take the required eye exam.

The Nebraska DMV provides more details about snowmobile rules and regulations online.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review