Salvaged Vehicles in Nebraska

Sometimes accidents such as collisions, fires, and floods cause so much damage that cars become salvages or total losses. What do you do when you have a salvaged car on your hands? Decide to cut your losses and run, or repair it and get back behind the wheel?

On this page, we’ll go over the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles’ (DMV) requirements and options when it comes to dealing with your salvaged vehicle. Read on for more! 

What Is a Salvaged Car in NE?

 In Nebraska, the DMV considers your car to be a salvage if:

  • It’s a late-model vehicle so damaged that repair costs are more than 75% of the car’s actual cash value (ACV).
    • A late-model vehicle is one that is aged 7 model years or fewer OR has a retail value exceeding $11,500*.
  • It suffered flood damage when water flooded over the floorboard, entered the passenger compartment, and caused electrical, computerized, and/or mechanical damage.

The above points explain when a vehicle automatically becomes a salvaged car. However, you—as the owner—can voluntarily apply for a salvaged title regardless of your vehicle’s age, damage, or value.

*NOTE: On January 1, 2020, the exceeded retail value amount increases to $12,000.

Total Loss Claims

If your insurance provider decides your vehicle meets the criteria for a salvage, you’ll need to file a total loss claim, in which you can accept:

  • A full settlement: You sign the car title over to your insurance company and receive payment for full damages.
    • Aside from satisfying any liens (if applicable), you don’t have to worry about dealing with the vehicle anymore.
  • A partial settlement: Your insurance carrier pays you partial damages and you keep the vehicle, after which you can:

Your best option will depend on how much time and money you can devote to your total loss vehicle. Take the time to discuss your choices with your insurance agent—they should have the best idea of how much work your salvaged car needs. 

NE Salvaged Title Application

If you kept your total loss vehicle (by accepting a partial settlement) and want to apply for a Nebraska salvage title:

  • Your insurance provider must notify the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
  • The NE DMV will enter the salvage brand on the title’s records.
  • Your provider will notify you that you have 30 days from accepting the settlement to apply for a salvaged title.

To apply for a Nebraska salvage title, submit the following to your local DMV office:

  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title (Form RV-707), with the “Salvage” box marked.
  • The vehicle’s original title.
  • Any lien satisfaction documents, if applicable.
  • Payment for the $10 salvage title fee

Once you have your salvage title, you can start thinking about repairing and retitling your car for use on public roads. If you decide to go this route, your rebuilt vehicle will need to pass an inspection, which we’ll go over next. 

Other Types of Salvaged Titles

You also can apply for a salvage title for the following types of vehicles:

  • All-terrain vehicle (ATV).
  • Utility vehicle (UTV).
  • Minibike.
  • Motorboat.

However, the application processes for the above vehicles are different from the steps required to obtain a salvage title for a car. For specific instructions, refer to the NE DMV’s pages on:

Salvaged Vehicle Inspections in NE 

BEFORE you can apply for a “Previously Salvaged” title, you must repair your salvage car to the state’s legal and safety standards. Once the necessary repairs are made, you’ll need to have your car inspected at your county sheriff’s officecontact your county treasurer for information on inspection locations and hours.

At your salvage inspection, the inspector will:

  • Make sure the vehicle identification number (VIN) matches up with the VIN on the car title.
  • Examine the odometer reading.
  • Potentially check the bills of sale, receipts, and/or invoices of the major component parts you used to rebuild the vehicle to ensure they weren’t stolen.

When the time for your inspection arrives, make sure you have:

  • Your car’s salvage title as proof of ownership.
  • The bills of sale, receipts, and/or invoices for the major component parts.
  • The $10 inspection fee.

Once your vehicle passes inspection, the inspector will complete and sign a vehicle inspection form, which is valid for 90 days after the inspection—don’t lose this! You’ll need the inspection form to retitle your vehicle. 

Retitle Your Salvaged Car in NE

Once your rebuilt car has passed inspection, it’s time to apply for your “Previously Salvaged” title with the Department of Motor Vehicles. This title authorizes your vehicle for driving on public roadways once more.

To apply, head to your local DMV agency with:

  • Your car’s salvage certificate of title.
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title (Form RV-707), with the “Previously Salvaged” box checked.
  • The vehicle inspection form, which you received after your car passed its salvage inspection.
  • Payment for the applicable fees (call your DMV office for acceptable payment methods):
    • “Previously Salvaged” title: $10.
    • Lien recording (if applicable): $7.

Once everything’s approved, you’ll receive your “Previously Salvaged” title! Now you can register your car with the DMV and get back out on the road.

If you need help retitling your salvaged vehicle, call the Department of Motor Vehicles at (402) 471-3918.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review