Replacing a Lost Title in Nebraska

Replacing a Lost Title in Nebraska

The agency that issues new and duplicate vehicle titles is the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

If you need to replace a lost title, you must submit the application for a duplicate title to your local county’s Treasurer’s Office. A few examples of acceptable and valid legal reasons for replacing a vehicle title could include a lost, damaged, destroyed or stolen vehicle title.

Continue reading this page for all the information you need about obtaining a replacement title for your vehicle in Nebraska.

Applying for a Duplicate NE Title

NOTE: Each person whose names appear on the title must sign the completed application. Proof of identity is required when the form is notarized. The only exception allowed is if a husband and wife jointly hold a title. In this case, one spouse is legally permitted to sign the application for the other spouse.

To replace a lost or damaged title in Nebraska, you'll need to visit your local Nebraska country treasurer's office and:

  • Download, print, and complete the State of Nebraska Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form RV-707a). The form is also available in person.
    • The application form you submit must be notarized.
    • You'll probably find it more convenient to complete the form at home, and then take it to your local Nebraska county official, rather than obtaining the form from the official's office and completing it there. This application requires the signatures of all parties on the title, as well as the vehicle's:
      • Title number.
      • Vehicle identification number (VIN).
      • Year, make, and model.
  • Bring payment for the NE duplicate title fee. See "Fees" below.

What if there is a lien on the vehicle?

If the vehicle has a lien on it, you must include the lien holder's name on your application.

In the case of a stolen title, damaged title, lost vehicle title or similar reasons to request a duplicate title, a lien holder can make separate applications for duplicate title.


The fee to replace a lost or damaged Nebraska title is $14.

Your respective county's office can provide information about payment options since some counties allow a selection of the following:

  • Online payment.
  • Money orders.
  • Credit cards.
  • Personal checks (some accept only personal checks).

NOTE: For those wanting to pay with credit card in participating counties willing to, the state charges a 2.35% convenience fee or $1 for e-check payments.

Making Corrections to Your Title

Change Your Name

If you've legally changed your name, you must submit an application in person to obtain a new title for your vehicle that indicates the correct name. You'll need to:

The fee for a certificate of a new vehicle title is $10 or $7 to update any necessary lien information.


  1. In the case of co-owners who are husband and wife, only one spouse needs to sign.
  2. If an order is too young to sign, or disabled, a parents, legal guardian or agent may sign.
  3. If the title is transferring from another state but ownership doesn't sign, one owner may sign.

For more information, you can read our page about Changing Your Name.


Application for Certificate of Title
Application for a Nebraska vehicle OR motorboat title with the DMV.
Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title
Request a duplicate vehicle OR motorboat title from the NE Department of Motor Vehicles.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review