License Renewal in Nebraska
Renewing Your Nebraska Driver's License
You need to make sure you renew your driver's license with the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in order to drive legally in the state. Continue reading this page to find out exactly when and how to renew your NE driver's license before or after it expires.
For more information about other types of driver's licenses or permits in Nebraska, visit our other pages:
Is your driver's license valid or suspended in Nebraska? Find out by ordering your driving record online today.
When to Renew Your NE Driver's License
The NE DMV will send you a driver's license renewal notice approximately 30 days before it expires.
You can renew your driver's license up to 90 days before your birthday as long as you're 21 years old or older.
If you are 21 years old or older, and will be out of the state when your driver's license is due to be renewed, you may request an early renewal. You will be asked to provide proof that you are unable to renew your license during the assigned time frame. Contact your local NE DMV examining location for more details.
Expired Driver's License
Your Nebraska driver's license will expire on your birthday 5 years after the date of issue. You can renew a driver's license up to 1 year after it expires without having to take the written test. After this time, the NE DMV will require you pass the written test again before they will renew your driver's license.
If you're unsure of your license status, you may want to obtain a copy of your driving record.
Did you know a single organ donor could save up to 8 lives? Become an organ donor today!
Renew Your Nebraska Driver's License
You can renew your NE driver's license online and in person at your local Nebraska DMV office.
NOTE: If you're out of state when your driver's license expires, you may be able to renew by mail. See “Out-of-State NE Residents & Military Members" below.
You can renew your NE driver's license online as long as you meet the following requirements:
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- Your license is expiring before your 72nd birthday.
- You are 21 years old or older.
- You have NOT renewed online more than once in the last renewal cycle.
- You have NOT changed your name or address since the issuance of your last driver's license.
- The NE DMV has NOT requested a re-examination.
- You do NOT need to submit medical or vision information to the DMV.
- Your physical description has not significantly changed.
- You do NOT have G, V, or X restriction(s).
If eligible, visit the Driver Licensing Services website. You will need to provide your:
- Phone number.
- Email address.
- Credit card details (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) to pay your renewal fee.
- See “Fees to Renew Your NE Driver's License" below.
Allow at least 20 days for your new license to arrive by mail. If you don't receive your renewed license, you can check the status of your renewal by contacting the Nebraska DMV.
If you have any questions about any exceptions that may apply, please contact the Nebraska DMV directly.
To renew your NE driver's license in person, you'll need to visit your nearest Nebraska DMV office and:
- Present your driver's license renewal notice.
- Pass a vision test.
- Pass written and road skills tests, if required.
- Complete the New, Renewal, Duplicates And Replacements, Permit, Class O (Car), Class M (Motorcycle) And State ID Card Data Form (Form DMV 06-104).
- Show acceptable proof of identification and address.
- For a complete list of documents you will be required to bring, please visit the Nebraska DMV website.
Upon completion, you will receive a DMV Issuance Certificate that you'll need to review and sign. Your receipt will serve as a temporary license until you receive your renewed license in the mail within 20 days.
Out-of-State NE Residents & Military Members
If you're going to be outside of Nebraska when your driver's license is due for renewal, you can renew by mail. The process varies slightly if you're an active-duty military member serving in another state (see “ Military Renewals" below).
If you will be out of state during your renewal period, you will be able to renew by mail before your driver's license expires, or within 1 year after the expiration date.
You'll need to:
- Complete the Out of State License Renewal, Replacements, Permit, Class O (Car), Class M (Motorcycle) Data Form (Form TSIRDT).
- Meet all of the vision exam requirements.
- Attach a copy of your valid Nebraska driver's license.
- Provide 2 documents to prove your NE residency.
- For a complete list, visit the DMV website.
- Include your out-of-state address and phone number (or fax number).
- Fax everything to (402) 471-4020, or mail it to:
P.O. Box 94726
Lincoln, NE 68509
The NE DMV will send you an issuance certificate, which you will need to sign and return to the Lincoln office with payment for the renewal fee.
Upon receiving your payment, the DMV will issue you a temporary driving receipt that is valid for 30 days. Approximately 14 business days later, you will receive your Nebraska driver's license at the address you provided.
Notice for Military Members Stationed in Germany
If you are currently stationed in Germany, please be aware that some states require you to have a valid U.S. driver's license in addition to your USAREUR license. Read our article for more information.
If you are a military member serving on active duty outside of Nebraska, you—as well as your spouse and dependents—qualify for a military exemption card that keeps your driver's license valid for 60 days after you return to Nebraska or leave the service.
To receive an exemption card:
- Write a dated and signed request that includes your current address.
- Provide a copy of your:
- NE driver's license.
- Current military orders.
Send the above to:
Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver and Vehicle Records Division
Attn: Military Exemption
P.O. Box 94789
Lincoln, NE 68509
If you choose, you can keep your driver's license current by submitting your renewal request by mail. Simply follow the instructions in “Out-Of-State Renewals" above.
You will also need to show one of the following:
- A copy of your current orders.
- A copy of your leave papers.
- A copy of your discharge papers, (only valid for 60 days after discharge).
- Your military ID card.
The Nebraska DMV requires that you show proof of Nebraska residency even if you are stationed out of state. If you no longer have residency in NE, you must provide a LES statement (showing you paid taxes to Nebraska) and show 2 documents to prove your new out-of-state address OR an APO/FPO address.
Fees to Renew Your NE Driver's License
The amount you must pay to renew your driver's license in Nebraska depends on how long you renew it for:
- 1 year: $9.50.
- 1 to 2 years: $14.50.
- 2 to 3 years: $18.50.
- 3 to 4 years: $23.50.
- 5 years: $28.50.
Visit the NE DMV website for a complete list of fees.
NOTE: The NE DMV charges an extra $4.50 security charge for documents issues either online or in person.
Accepted Payment Methods
Some Nebraska DMV offices accept the following payment methods:
- Major credit cards (online services).
Not all NE DMV offices accept personal checks and other payment methods. Be sure to contact your local Nebraska DMV office for specific details on how to pay your driver's license renewal fees.
- DMV 06-104