Renewing Your CDL in Nebraska
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Although applying for your Nebraska CDL can seem like a complex process, renewing your license is surprisingly simple. In fact, many drivers can complete the entire renewal process in just a few minutes either in person or online.
You will receive a renewal postcard from the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles before your license is scheduled to expire. Bring this postcard with you when you renew your license at one of the state's examining locations.
To prevent identity theft, you will be required to show proof of your Social Security number, birth name, and name before renewing your Nebraska CDL. Several forms of documents are acceptable, but no photocopies or faxes will be permitted.
There is a $57.50 fee to renew your NE CDL. This includes the $55 renewal fee and $2.50 security surcharge.
You can renew your NE CDL online if you:
- Don’t need to change your name from what appears on your current NE CDL.
- Still have mostly the same physical description.
- Haven’t already renewed your CDL online in the last 10 years.
- Nebraska allows online renewal 1 time every 10 years.
- Haven’t obtained more than 2 replacements online in the last 5 years.
- Don’t want to change your CDL self-certification category.
- Don’t have a hazardous materials endorsement.
- Aren’t restricted to wearing bioptic or telescopic lenses.
Eligible? Let’s get started.
Head to the state’s online renewal system and have the following ready:
- Proof of citizenship, if it’s not already on file.
- Current medical examiner's certificate card (not long form) ONLY IF you’re a Self-Certification Category A Interstate Non-Excepted Driver.
- Proof of address change, if applicable.
- Acceptable documents include bank account statements, pay stubs, voter registration cards, and more.
- Anything with a P.O. Box address isn’t acceptable proof.
- A working telephone number and email address.
- Your checking account information or a major credit card (MasterCard, Visa, or Discover) to pay the total $57.50 renewal fee and applicable vendor fee.
After completing the process, save your order reference number. You’ll need this number to enter into the state’s status inquiry service in the event you don’t receive your renewed NE CDL within 20 days.
Whenever you renew your Nebraska CDL, you will be required to complete a short vision screening. If you wear contact lenses or prescription eyeglasses to pass the screening, you must wear these corrective lenses whenever you operate a commercial motor vehicle.
Federal law states that you will still need to complete the exam requirements for maintaining a hazardous materials endorsement each time you renew. You may also need to have a new Medical Examination Report (Form 649-F)
When you renew your commercial driver license, you may need to take a driving exam. Driving tests are often required if you have recently been convicted of a traffic violation or had your driving privileges suspended. However, the Department of Motor Vehicles has the authority to request that any applicant demonstrate their proficiency in basic vehicle control skills. If you are required to complete a driving test, you must take the test with a vehicle that is appropriate for your license classification.
Replacing a Lost or Stolen License
Since it's against the law to operate a commercial motor vehicle without a valid CDL, you must replace a lost or stolen license promptly. Do not wait until your license is scheduled to expire.
You may request a duplicate CDL by at the office of your nearest county official.
New Federal Requirements
You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with the Nebraska DMV. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:
- Non-Excepted Interstate
- Excepted Interstate
- Non-Excepted Intrastate
- Excepted Intrastate