Registration Renewal in Nebraska
Registration Renewal in Nebraska
In Nebraska, you must carry a current registration certificate in your car and display a current sticker on your license plate.
To keep your registration up to date, you have to renew your Nebraska vehicle registration before its expiration date.
NE Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice
The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will send you a registration renewal notice BEFORE your car registration expires.
The notice will list the fees and taxes you must pay in order to renew your registration.
Didn't Receive a Renewal Notice?
If you've lost your notice, or you never received one, contact your local Nebraska DMV office. You'll still need to renew your registration by your expiration date.
How to Renew Your NE Vehicle Registration
You can renew your Nebraska DMV registration:
- By mail.
- In person.
DID YOU KNOW?: Car insurance is REQUIRED when renewing your registration!
Compare rates and buy your policy online: Open the Insurance Center >>
Online Car Registration Renewal
You can renew your car registration online with ClickDMV, Nebraska's online DMV service.
To renew online, you'll need:
- Your renewal notice OR your current vehicle registration certificate.
- A form of payment for the applicable fee (see our section on fees below).
The NE DMV receives bi-monthly updates from insurance providers in Nebraska in order to verify the insurance status of drivers in the state. Make sure your car insurance policy is current when you apply to renew your registration.
Your registration fee will include an online service fee.
Your new vehicle registration card and license plate sticker will arrive at your address currently on file with the DMV within 5 to 7 business days. If you haven't received your registration documents, you can check the status of your order by contacting the DMV.
NOTE: The DMV will send your new card and sticker to the address on your current registration or renewal notice. If you've moved, you need to change your address with the DMV before applying. Also, if you've changed your name, you must change your name with the DMV before using the system.
Also if you're in Douglas County you can renew your registration via the Douglas County Nebraska Treasurer.
Certain vehicle types are not eligible for online registration renewal:
- Vehicles that have certain license plates affixed:
- Amateur radio license plates.
- Pearl Harbor survivor license plates.
- Vehicles that have a tax-exempt status.
- Vehicles used for farm and commercial purposes that are registered for over 27 tons.
- Vehicles whose registration has been expired 1 year or more.
Renew Registration By Mail or In Person
To submit your Nebraska registration renewal by mail or in person, you'll need:
- The bottom portion of your renewal notice, OR your current registration card.
- Proof of financial responsibility, such as a certificate of insurance.
- Payment for your fee. (See “NE Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees" below.)
Send or take the documents listed above and payment to the county treasurer office address provided on your renewal notice.
NOTE: Accepted forms of payment vary by location and will be noted on your renewal notice.
NE Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
Nebraska vehicle registration fees and taxes vary based on several factors, including:
- The age of your vehicle.
- The value of your vehicle.
- The county where your car is registered.
Your total registration renewal fee is a combination of motor vehicle tax and various other fees:
- Motor vehicle tax.
- Based on value and county.
- Motor vehicle fee.
- Based on value, weight, and use of vehicle.
- Registration fees.
- $15 fee for leased and passenger vehicles.
- $.50 Emergency Medical System Operation Fund fee.
- $2 DMV Cash Fund fee.
- $1.50 State Recreation Road Fund fee.
- $1.50 County General Fund fee.
- $3.30 Plate fee (collected ONLY if a new, replacement, or duplicate plate is issued.
Duplicate Vehicle Registration
If your registration certificate has been lost or stolen, you must contact the Nebraska DMV office in the county that issued the registration for a duplicate.
The fee for a duplicate registration is $1.