Other Vehicle Registrations in Nebraska

SUMMARY: How to Register Other Vehicle Types in Nebraska

Certain vehicles that are not standard cars and trucks have different registration requirements. Some, such as ATVs and snowmobiles, don't need to be registered at all. Others require a VIN assignment first, such as with custom-built cars. RVs and trailers are registered in the same manner as standard vehicles, except that their fees are based on their weight in addition to their county of residence.

Recreational vehicles often follow different registration and titling rules than cars or motorcycles. Before you take a trip to the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), be sure you can categorize what your vehicle is and know what to bring with you, or find out if you even need to go at all.

All-Terrain Vehicles

You don't have to register all-terrain vehicles, or ATVs, in Nebraska.

Unless the driver is crossing the road or using the ATV for agricultural purposes, it's illegal to operate an ATV on public roads in Nebraska; therefore, registration is unnecessary.

Titling ATVs

If you purchased your ATV new after January 1, 2004, you must title it. If you purchased it before that, titling is optional. Considering the title proves you own the ATV, it's a good idea to go ahead and have it titled.

Look for list of necessary titling documents online. The fee is $10 at your local Nebraska county clerk office.


Minibikes have:

  • 2 wheels totaling less than 14 inches in diameter.
  • Less than 45 cc of engine capacity.

They are also any other two-wheeled vehicle intended for off-roading.

All minibikes sold after January 1, 2004 must be titled. If you have one bought before that, you can ask for a title to prove that you own it.

To obtain a title, bring $10 and the necessary documents to your local county clerk.

Registration isn't available for minibikes.


You don't have to title or register your snowmobile. However, if you're planning to use it somewhere besides private property, you must register it.

To register it, complete the Application for Snowmobile Registration and Decal and take it, along with the $16 fee, to the Nebraska county treasurer's office.

Once you register your Nebraska snowmobile, you'll receive a certificate of registration and a decal. Secure the decal to the upper right half of your snowmobile's hood.

Registration is valid for 2 years; it will expire on the last day of September 2 years after it was issued. It gets renewed just like a regular vehicle registration.


You must register your trailer if you plan to use it on Nebraska public roads.

The registration process is similar to that of registering a vehicle. Fees depend heavily upon the size and weight of the trailer as well as how you plan to use the trailer, i.e., commercial, contract, or personal use.

Your local Nebraska county treasurer's office can give you detailed information specific to your trailer and its intended use.

NE Motorhomes and RVs

If you own a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome in Nebraska, be sure to register it with the NE DMV. You will follow the same steps as you would to register a regular car. For more information, visit our Registering a Car in Nebraska page.

The fees you'll need to pay will depend on your vehicle and the county you live in.

Custom-Built Vehicles

Before you can register your custom-built vehicle in Nebraska, you'll need to have it titled first. The first step is to have your vehicle inspected and obtain a vehicle identification number (VIN). Once you've passed the inspection, you'll be given a VIN and a signed inspection form. You'll need to take this form as well as the following documents to a NE DMV office to apply for your title certificate:

NOTE: You'll need to apply for a certificate of title within 90 days of passing your inspection, or you'll need to have your vehicle inspected again. The fee for the inspection is $10 and is done by your county sheriff.

Once you have your VIN and certificate of title, follow the instructions on our guide to Car Registration in Nebraska.

Scooters and Mopeds in Nebraska

Nebraska defines scooters, mopeds, and motorcycles by various criteria, including engine size and vehicle speed.

If a vehicle is classed as a motorcycle, it must meet motorcycle registration requirements.

Scooters are considered motorcycles if they have:

  • A total wheel diameter of 14 inches or greater.
  • An engine of at least 45 cc.
  • A permanent, attached seat.
  • Handlebars that extend no more than 15 inches from where they're mounted.

A mopedis NOT a motorcycle as long as it has:

  • Pedals allowing you to propel it.
  • An automatic transmission.
  • A motor up to 50 cc and up to 2 HP.
  • A maximum speed of 30 MPH.

Mopeds DO NOT have to be registered or titled in Nebraska as long as they have pedals.

If you remove a moped's pedals, it is classified as an off-road vehicle that can only be operated on private property.

More information is available on our page Scooters, Mopeds, Etc. in Nebraska.


Application for Certificate of Title
Application for a Nebraska vehicle OR motorboat title with the DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review