Motorcycle Registration in Nebraska
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
All motorcycles owned by Nebraska residents are required to be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles before operation on the road is allowed.
On this page, we'll teach you about motorcycle registration for new Nebraska residents AND for long-time Nebraskans who recently purchased a bike.
Looking to renew your motorcycle registration? Jump over to our Nebraska registration renewals section.
New Nebraska Residents
After establishing Nebraska residency, you'll have 30 days to register your motorcycle.
BEFORE submitting a registration application to the DMV, you'll need to have a VIN inspection performed on your bike. Once the inspection is complete, you'll receive a certificate of inspection—don't lose this!
You can then complete the registration process by providing the following items in person OR by mail to your local county treasurer's office:
- The certificate of inspection.
- Your out-of-state motorcycle title and registration.
- If you're leasing the motorcycle, you'll also need to provide a copy of the lease agreement.
- Proof of:
- Nebraska motorcycle insurance.
- Paid NE sales/excise tax on the bike.
- Payment for the $15 base registration fee PLUS any other applicable fees or taxes.
For more useful tips following a recent move, including information on transferring your out-of-state title, check out our Nebraska moving guide.
NE Motorcycle Registration
After purchasing a new OR used motorcycle in Nebraska, you must register it with the Department of Motor Vehicles within 30 days of the sale date. You can do so by submitting the following in person OR by mail to your local county treasurer:
- The Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (new bikes) OR the motorcycle's title signed by the buyer AND seller (used bikes).
- Any open liens on the title must be released by the lienholder.
- EITHER a:
- Bill of Sale (REV 2014)
- Sales/Use Tax and Tire Fee Statement (Form 6)—available from your county treasurer.
- Bill of Sale (REV 2014)
- If applicable, a copy of the signed lease agreement.
- Proof of NE motorcycle insurance.
- The $15 base registration fee IN ADDITION to any other applicable fees or taxes.
Your motorcycle registration will expire according to the purchase date. If you own 2 vehicles or more, you can register the vehicles at the same time annually in any month you prefer.
If you still need to title your recently-purchased motorcycle, head over to our Nebraska title transfers guide.
Motorcycle Registration Fees & Taxes
You may be required to pay the following fees and taxes when you register your motorcycle in Nebraska:
- Registration: $15.
- Plate fee: $3.30.
- County General Fund: $1.50.
- State Recreation Road Fund: $1.50.
- Department of Motor Vehicles Cash Fund: $2.
- Emergency Medical System Operation Fund: $0.50.
- Motor vehicle fee and tax: Based on the value and weight of your motorcycle AND your NE county of residence.
- Contact your local county treasurer's office for the specific amount.
For an estimate of the total taxes you may be required to pay when registering your motorcycle, use the Nebraska Vehicle Tax Estimator.