Drivers in the Military in Nebraska

If you've chosen to serve your county in the United States armed forces, your courage and commitment deserve to be commended. Since the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles recognizes the sacrifices made by military personnel, there are special licensing rules that make it easier for you to maintain your driving privileges while on active duty.

Driver Licenses

If you are on stationed outside of Nebraska, your driver license is valid for the length of your service. It will expire 60 days after your discharge or your return to the state.

If you wish to take advantage of this military exemption, you must request a Form 07-08 from the Nebraska DMV office. This small card attaches to your driver license to inform law enforcement officials of your military exemption. You can obtain a card by sending a photocopy of your current driver license with a signed and dated request that includes your current military orders and residence information to the following address:

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver and Vehicle Records Division
Attn: Military Exemption
P.O. Box 94789
Lincoln, NE 68509

To renew your Nebraska driver license after you've returned to the state, present a copy of your current military orders, leave papers, or discharge papers to your county official. No written or drive testing is required if you renew within 60 days.

Military exemption rules for license renewal also apply to immediate family members of active duty personnel. However, you must hold a valid Nebraska driver license for your family to qualify for the exemption. To learn more about driver license regulations for military personnel, please email or call (402) 471-3918.

Vehicle Registration

If you are stationed in Nebraska but call another U.S. state home, then you may be able to keep your current out-of-state plates or even get NE tags for free. For details, check out the DMV's information page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review