Name Change in Nebraska

Summary: How to Change Your Name in Nebraska

You'll need to visit a Nebraska DMV office in person to have your name changed on your driver's license/ID card, car registration, and title certificate. You'll need to provide various documents, including proof of your name change, as well as payment for updated documents. You'll also need to change your name with the Social Security Administration in order to get an updated Social Security card.

Continue reading this page for more information about changing your name with the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Change Your Name with the SSA

One of the first things you should do after changing your name—whether it's due to marriage, divorce, or other court order—is update your Social Security card.

You'll need to provide the following documents to the Social Security Administration (SSA) either by mail or in person:

For more information about required documents, visit the SSA website. Make sure you select “Corrected" for the type of card.

Once your application has been processed and approved, you should receive your updated Social Security card in the mail within 14 business days.

NE Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

Once you change your name, you must apply for a replacement Nebraska driver's license or ID card within 60 days of the change.

You will need to visit your local NE DMV office in person with:

Your updated driver's license or ID card will be mailed to you within 14 business days. You will be given a temporary driver's license that you can use during this time.

Vehicle Registration & Title Name Change

To change your name on your car title and registration, you'll need to visit your local Nebraska DMV office in person. You cannot change your name by mail or online.

You will likely need to bring:

  • Your current certificate of title.
  • Your registration document.
  • Proof of legal name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, or official court order).
  • Your NE driver's license.
  • Payment for the duplicate fees.

The NE Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may require you to complete a title transfer or simply apply for a duplicate certificate of title showing your new name. Contact the NE DMV directly for specific instructions.

Fees to Change Your Name in NE

To change your name in Nebraska, you'll need to pay fees for duplicate documents.

  • Driver's license: $16.
  • ID card: $16.
  • Title transfer: $10.
  • Duplicate title certificate: $14.

For more information about fees and accepted payment methods, contact the Nebraska DMV.

Change Your Nebraska Address

If you've changed your address in Nebraska, you must notify the NE DMV within 60 days of moving and apply for an updated driver's license/ID card. You will need to submit proof of your new residence and payment for the duplicate card fee in person.

For more information, see our Change of Address in Nebraska page.


Application for a Social Security Card
Apply for an original, corrected, OR duplicate Social Security card.
DMV 06-104
New, Renewal and Replacements, Permit, Class O, Class M and State ID Card Data
Apply for an original, renewed, OR replacement Nebraska learner's permit, driver's license, motorcycle license, OR state ID card.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review