Change of Address in Nebraska
Continue reading this page to find out how to change your address with the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Driver's License/ID Card Address Change
If you've changed your address in Nebraska, you must update your NE driver's license/ID card within 60 days of moving.
You'll need to visit your local Nebraska DMV office with:
- Your current NE driver's license or identification card.
- A completed New, Renewal, Duplicates and Replacements, Permit, Class O (Car), Class M (Motorcycle) and State ID Card Data Form (Form DMV 06-104).
- 2 documents proving your Nebraska address, such as your:
- Bank statement (issued in the last 90 days).
- Valid health insurance card.
- Pay stub (issued in the last 90 days).
- Payment for the replacement card fee.
NOTE: A complete list of accepted proof of residency documents can be found on the NE DMV website.
Your updated NE driver's license/ID card will be mailed to you within 14 business days. In the meantime, you will be given a receipt that will allow you to drive for up to 30 days until your permanent card arrives.
If your card doesn't arrive within 20 business days, call the NE DMV at (402) 471-3861.
Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.
NE Car Title & Registration Address Change
You are not required to change your address on your NE vehicle registration or certificate of title immediately.
You can change your address on your registration the next time you renew it. See our Registration Renewal page to learn more about this process.
NOTE: If you've moved to a different county in Nebraska, you may need to pay a local wheel tax. Contact the Nebraska DMV for more information.
If you'd like an updated certificate of title showing your new address, you can order a replacement. Instructions can be found on our Replacing a Title in Nebraska page.
Fees to Change Your Nebraska Address
When you change your address in Nebraska, you will need to pay the following fees:
- Driver's license replacement: $16.
- ID card replacement: $16. (You may also pay a $5 security fee).
- Registration renewal: Varies depending on your county.
- See our Registration Renewal page for more information.
- Duplicate certificate of title: $14.
A complete list of driver's license and permit fees can be found on the NE DMV website.
Contact the Nebraska DMV if you have any questions about related fees and accepted payment methods.
New Nebraska Residents
If you've recently moved to Nebraska from another state, you'll need to complete a few tasks with the NE Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You only have a limited number of days to complete these tasks before you risk being penalized.
See our New to Nebraska page to learn what other tasks you may need to complete as a new resident of the state.
Change Your Name in Nebraska
If you've changed your name, you'll need to obtain an updated NE driver's license/ID card within 60 days of making the change.
You'll need to visit your local NE DMV officein person with the required documents and payment for the duplicate card fees.
Complete instructions can be found on our Changing Your Name in Nebraskapage.
- DMV 06-104