Commercial Driver FAQs in Nebraska

How do I apply for a commercial driver license?

To receive a Nebraska CDL, you must be at least 18 years old. To receive a license valid for interstate travel, you must be at least 21 years old. In addition, you must complete a vision screening, knowledge test, and driving skills exam.

To learn more about applying for your commercial driver license, please see Applying for a New CDL.

How do I get a hazardous materials endorsement?

If you wish to obtain a CDL with a hazardous materials (hazmat) endorsement, you'll need to complete a special written test and a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) security threat assessment. This is required by the U.S. Patriot Act. Find details provided by the DMV.

Can I drive a school bus if I have a CDL?

If you wish to operate a school bus with 16 passengers or more, you must have an S endorsement on your CDL. To receive an S endorsement, you will need to pass a special written exam and driving test.

Can the state take away my driving privileges?

According to Nebraska law, the state can suspend your CDL for a number of offenses. For example:

  • If you have committed a railroad-highway grade crossing violation, you'll lose your CDL for 60 days.
  • You will lose your CDL for at least 1 year if you are found guilty of driving a motor vehicle while intoxicated (BAC of 0.04% or higher).
  • If you're convicted of 2 serious traffic violations within 3 years, you'll lose your CDL for 60 days. This includes convictions for reckless driving, excessive speeding, and improper lane changes.
  • You will lose your license for 90 days if you have violated an out-of-service violation order.

If you commit any of these offenses again, expect your sentence to be much longer or more severe.

Do I need more than one CDL?

If you are over 21 years old, your Nebraska CDL allows you to legally drive a commercial vehicle in any state. It is against the law to have more than one commercial driver license. In fact, you can be fined up to $5,000 for having more than one license.

The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles uses a centralized computer system to share information about CDL drivers with other states. In addition to ensuring that no driver is licensed in more than one state, this system also helps the Nebraska DMV monitor driver accident records.

Do I need to tell my employer about a traffic violation?

If you have been convicted of any traffic violations, even if you weren't driving a company vehicle at the time, you must notify your employer within 30 days. However, you are not required to notify your employer of any parking tickets that you have received.

You must also notify your employer if your license has been suspended or revoked. Your employer can be fined for allowing you to drive without a valid CDL.

Keep up-to-date with changes in CDL legislation with the DMV's information page.

Also see Applying for a New CDL, Renewing Your CDL, Replacing a Lost CDL, and
Commercial Driver Education on this site.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review