Buying and Selling FAQs in Nebraska

I found a great used car for my daughter, but the seller didn't have a bill of sale form handy. What should I do?

In Nebraska, you can't complete a title transfer without a properly completed Bill of Sale.

If you really want the car, head back to the seller with your own Bill of Sale, as well as an Odometer Disclosure Statement if the car is  20 years old or newer.

Other than the Bill of Sale and Odometer Disclosure Statement, what other paperwork does a seller need?

A NE Department of Revenue Nebraska Sales/Use Tax and Tire Fee Statement (Form 6MB).

Pick one up by contacting the Nebraska Department of Revenue or at your County Treasurer's office.

Department of Revenue Form 6MB – Nebraska Sales/Use Tax and Tire Fee Statement

If I purchase a vehicle, how long do I have to register it?

You have 30 days from the purchase date.

If you purchase the vehicle from a dealership, they'll most likely handle the title and registration process for you. If you do business with an individual, however, you'll need to handle titling and registering yourself.

Visit our Registration and Titling section for detailed instructions.

If I sell my truck, do I let the buyer keep the license plates?

No! Your Nebraska license plates belong to you; not the truck. Make sure you remove them before the truck's new owner spins off.

I bought my neighbor's car and transferred the title, but the information on the new title is incorrect. What should I do?

You'll need to apply for a duplicate Nebraska title with the Department of Motor Vehicles.

I live in Kansas, but I bought a new car in Nebraska. How can I legally get it back to Kansas?

You can drive your new car to Kansas after obtaining non-resident license plates at the County Treasurer from the county in which you purchased the car. These plates will be valid for 30 days. You'll also receive a temporary registration certificate.

You'll need the title or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), and the fee of $20.70.

What kind of vehicle should I buy in order to get the cheapest Nebraska car insurance?

Shop around, but remember that adequate auto coverage is more important than the cheapest policy you can find.

You must have liability insurance, which is usually more affordable when you own your car outright.

Some companies also offer price breaks for having good grades (students), not smoking, or taking driver improvement courses.

Can I get a warranty for a used car?

Yes, from a dealership. Whether or not the vehicle comes with a warranty is completely up to the dealership.

Discuss your options with the car salesperson. For more information, visit our Auto Warranty Guide section.

Can I buy a vehicle in another country and bring it to Nebraska?

Usually. Bringing a car into America from another country can be a tricky process. In addition to our brief summary, you should study Vehicle Importation Regulations, and then contact an expert to help you at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at (888) 327-4236.

The process is much easier―and quicker―if the vehicle already conforms to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). You can find out whether or not the vehicle conforms by checking for the sticker on the inside of the car door.

Not all vehicles conform to the FMVSS; if this is your case, a Registered Importer (RI) at your re-entry port will contact the NHTSA to find out if it can be modified to conform. If so, you can bring the vehicle into America to have it modified, and then post a Department of Transportation Conformance Bond.

Note that some vehicles coming from Canada aren't subject to this process.


Sales/Use Tax and Tire Fee Statement for Motor Vehicle And Trailer Sales
Submit this form to disclose the amount of sales tax and tire fees paid on a vehicle or trailer you purchased. Not available online. Must be ordered from the Nebraska Department of Revenue.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review