Replacing a Lost Registration in North Dakota

To replace a lost, stolen, or damaged registration card, license plate, or decal in North Dakota, you can mail an application or visit a local North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) in person.

You will need to provide specific information about your vehicle, including the vehicle identification number (VIN) and license plate number.

Keep reading for all the details you need!

Lost your title or license plate?

If you need a duplicate license plate, jump over to our guide to License Plates & Placards in North Dakota.

If you need to replace a vehicle title, see our page on Replacing a Lost Title in North Dakota.

Obtain a Duplicate ND Registration or Decal

To replace lost, stolen, or damaged ND vehicle registration cards, license plates, or renewal decals, you have a few options. You can request the replacements:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

To obtain a new vehicle registration*, you will need to provide:

  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title & Registration (Form SFN 2872). Be sure to include your:
    • Vehicle identification number (VIN).
    • License plate number.
    • Current odometer reading.
  • Payment for your applicable replacement fee:
    • Registration card: $2.
    • Duplicate decal: $3. You will also get a duplicate registration card.

Need help finding your VIN?

Your vehicle identification number is on:

  • Your title.
  • Your driver’s-side doorjamb.
  • The dashboard near the windshield on the driver’s-side.

You can take your application and payment to your closest NDDOT branch OR mail the application to:

Department of Transportation
Motor Vehicle Division
608 E. Boulevard Ave
Bismarck, ND 58505

NOTE: If your registration is due for renewal, you will need to renew your registration when you request a replacement. See our page Registration Renewal in North Dakota for more information.

Out-of-State Replacement

If you are temporarily outside of North Dakota and your registration, plate, or decal is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can still apply for a replacement.

From outside of ND, you can request replacement registration documents by mailing the Application for Certificate of Title & Registration (SFN 2872) and required fees to:

Department of Transportation
Motor Vehicle Division
608 E. Boulevard Ave
Bismarck, ND 58505

The fees are:

  • $2 for a replacement registration card.
  • $3 for a duplicate decal, which includes a duplicate registration card.

Be aware that the registration, plates, or stickers will be mailed to the address on file with NDDOT, and that the address on the application MUST match the address on file.

If you need the items sent to a different address, contact NDDOT at (855) 637-6237 for assistance.

Duplicate Registration Fees in ND

Here is a list of fees associated with replacing lost or stolen, registration cards, plate decals, or license plates:

  • Duplicate registration card: $2.
  • Duplicate decal: $3. You will also get a duplicate registration card.

Report a Lost or Stolen ND Registration

In addition to reporting a lost or stolen registration or license plate to NDDOT when you request a replacement, you may also want to file a report with your local police department.

Reporting the loss or theft of a registration card or license plate to the police can help stop someone from using your information to commit a number of fraudulent activities, including identity theft.

It can also be helpful to have a police report on file if you are stopped for failing to display a valid license plate while waiting for your replacement plate.


SFN 2872
Application for Certificate of Title and Registration of a Vehicle
Apply for a new, renewal, OR duplicate ND DOT title, registration, or tabs.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review