Replacing a Lost License in North Dakota
LifeLock Identity Protection starting at $9.99/mo
Our proprietary technology alerts you to wide range of identity threats.
- SSN and Credit Alerts†
- Bank & Credit Card Activity Alerts†
- Alerts on Crimes in Your Name
- 10% Off Your First Year
No one can prevent all identity theft. † LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses. Terms and applicable taxes apply.
Replacing a North Dakota Driver's License
You must replace your North Dakota driver's license if it is lost, stolen, contains incorrect information, or becomes unreadable. Read below for more information about getting a duplicate or replacement driver's license from the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT).
Replace Your Lost or Stolen License
To replace your lost, stolen, or damaged driver's license, you will need to go in person to a North Dakota driver’s license office and take:
- Proof of your identity that shows your correct name, your lawful presence in the U.S., and your date of birth, such as:
- A U.S. birth certificate (certified by the state or issued by the government).
- A valid and unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
- A U.S. military ID card for active duty, retiree, or reservist military (dependents' cards are not accepted).
- Any of the other acceptable forms listed on the North Dakota DOT website.
- Your Social Security number, which will be verified by NDDOT.
- If your name has changed or differs from your proof of identification, also bring proof of name change, such as:
- Your marriage certificate.
- A court order.
- Payment for the duplicate license fee of $8.
NOTE: Only original documents or certified copies will be accepted as proof of identity. Photocopies CANNOT be used for identification purposes.
Out-of-State Driver's License Replacements
If you are out of state when your North Dakota driver's license is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can request a replacement:
- By mail. OR
- By fax.
You must provide the following:
- Your name as it appears on your driver's license.
- Your date of birth.
- Your North Dakota driver's license number OR your Social Security number.
- Your mailing address.
- A phone number or e-mail address where you can be reached.
- A brief explanation of what happened to your driver's license.
- Your signature.
- The $8 fee, made payable to the “Driver License Division".
- If you wish to pay by credit card, you must call the ND DOT at (701) 328-2600 with your credit card information.
Mail all of the above information and payment to:
Driver License Division
608 E. Boulevard Ave
Bismarck, ND 58505
OR you can fax the information to the NDDOT at (701) 328-2435. However, you will need to call the Department of Transportation directly with your credit card information after you submit your request so you can cover the cost of the replacement for your lost driver's license.
Your duplicate ND driver's license will be mailed to you once your request is approved, as long as your lost driver's license is not also suspended, revoked, or cancelled in any state.
Report a Lost or Stolen ND Driver's License
You are not required to report a lost or stolen North Dakota driver's license; however, you may want to file a police report. You'll want to do this especially if your driver's license or wallet was stolen because your driver's license, credit cards, and other information could be used for identity theft or fraud.
Contact your local police department to report a theft or for more information about filing a police report.
For more information about identity theft, including prevention, see the North Dakota Attorney General Identity Theft Fact Sheet.
Lost or Stolen CDL?
Replacing a lost or stolen CDL in North Dakota is very similar to the process of applying for a replacement driver's license as shown above.
You can get additional details for your lost CDL and a complete list of the identification documents required when applying for a duplicate CDL driver's license at our page about Replacing a Lost CDL.