Replacing a Lost CDL in North Dakota
Join 18,882 Americans who searched DMV.ORG for commercial insurance rates:
The North Dakota Department of Transportation (DOT) will issue you a duplicate commercial driver's license online, in person, or by mail depending on your situation.
It's illegal to drive a commercial vehicle or truck without a valid, properly endorsed CDL in your possession; DO NOT drive your vehicle until you have your replacement CDL. Also, consider reporting your lost CDL to law enforcement as a way to protect yourself against identity theft.
In-State ND Replacement CDL
You can order a duplicate CDL online using the online substitute license request.
- Your replacement will include ONLY the information the DOT has on file.
- You can't make any changes to your CDL.
- The DOT will mail your duplicate to the address on file.
- This might not be convenient for you if you're currently out of state.
Call (701) 328-2601 if you have any questions about these stipulations (for example, whether it's practical for you to order online if you're out of state).
Apply to replace your lost CDL in person at your local driver's license site.
- 1 document proving your identity. The DOT provides a list of documents; some of the most common include your:
- U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, or U.S. passport card.
- Valid foreign passport with I-94 card or I-551 stamp.
- Social Security card.
- Vehicle title and registration.
- Unexpired immigration documents.
- The $8 fee.
The DOT states it MIGHT be able to help you obtain a replacement CDL by mail if you're currently out of state. You must call the DOT Central Office at (701) 328-4353.