Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in North Dakota

In case you are wondering (which you probably are since you came to this page), you must register your moped or scooters with the Department of Transportation (NDDOT) and purchase liability insurance.


Mopeds, or motorized bicycles, are defined as any bike with:

  • 2 to 3 wheels.
  • Footrests or foot pedals.
  • A motor capable of achieving a maximum speed of 30 MPH on a level surface.
  • An automatic drive system.
  • A body that's no wider than 32 inches.

To register and title a new moped you must provide your local motor vehicle office with:

  • A Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) which must describe the moped's engine size and maximum speed capacity.
  • An odometer certification.
  • Proof of insurance.
  • Cash or check to pay a $25 registration fee and a 5% excise tax.
  • Title fee of $5.

Contact the Motor Vehicle Division's main office at (701) 328-2725 for more information.

Moped License

In order to operate a scooter or moped you must be at least 14 years old and possess one of the following:

  • An operator's license
  • A temporary permit
  • An instruction permit
  • A motorcycle permit
  • A motorized bicycle permit

Other Miscellaneous Stuff

  • If you are under 18 years old, you must wear a helmet.
  • You must adhere to all traffic laws.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review