New to North Dakota

SUMMARY: New North Dakota Residents

As a new resident of North Dakota, you'll need to apply for a ND driver's license/ID card and register your car in the state. This must be done in person at a DOT office and you'll need to pay licensing and registration fees. You may also wish to register to vote and become a registered organ donor.

This page will help you find all the information you need to know about completing your transactions with the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT).

North Dakota State Agencies

As a North Dakota resident, it's essential to understand where to go for your vehicle and licensing services. In this state, the agency is the Department of Transportation.

Other departments you may find yourself interacting with include:

  • The ND Game and Fish Department: Handles boat licenses and registration.
  • The Secretary of State: Oversees elections and voter registration.
Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Apply for a ND Driver's License/ID Card

Once you move to North Dakota, you have 60 days to transfer your out-of-state driver's license to the state. You will need to visit your local NDDOT office in person and provide various documents, your out-of-state driver's license, and payment for your ND driver's license. You may also need to take the written and driving exams.

Visit our Applying for a New License page for more information.

NOTE: If you need a commercial driver's license (CDL), see our Applying for a New CDL page.

If you're a teenager, you may be able to transfer your out-of-state driver's permit to North Dakota. You may qualify as long as any driving training you received in your previous state meets the NDDOT's graduated driver's licensing (GDL) program requirements. See our Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) page for information.

Identification Cards

If you don't plan on driving in North Dakota but you need identification, you can apply for a North Dakota identification card (ID). In order to get one, you'll need to provide some required documents and payment. You can find out more on our Identification Cards in North Dakota page.

Register Your Car in North Dakota

If you're new to North Dakota, you'll need to register your out-of-state vehicle with the DOT unless you are a full-time non-resident student or active-duty military personnel. You can learn more on our Car Registration in North Dakota page.

Registering Special Vehicles

Special vehicles such as recreational vehicles (RVs), trailers, and mopeds also need to be registered with the DOT, but the process is a little different. Please refer to our Special Vehicles in North Dakota page for more information.

Car Insurance in North Dakota

You MUST carry car insurance in order to legally operate a vehicle in North Dakota. Whenever you move to a new state, it presents a great time to evaluate your current insurance provider. You can find out if you're getting the best rate possible by visiting our Car Insurance in North Dakota page.

Required Car Inspections

Before you can have your car registered with the NDDOT, you'll need to have it inspected. The inspection officer will check your vehicle identification number (VIN), make sure the car parts are all in working condition, and perform an extensive safety check. For more information, see our Car Inspections page.

Organ Donation & Voter Registration

Were you a registered organ donor in your previous state? If so, it's important to know that your registration information does not automatically get transferred to your new North Dakota address; you'll need to re-register once you become a resident. If you're still deciding whether to become an organ donor, you can find out more on our Organ Donation page and learn how this selfless act can benefit many lives.

Similarly, if you'd like to vote in ND, you'll need to re-register as a voter even if you were a registered voter in your previous state. Make sure you're registered by the deadline date to ensure you won't be turned away at the polling booth. Our Voter Registration page has all the information you need.

Military Members Stationed in North Dakota

If you are an active-duty member of the U.S. military, you are entitled to some exemptions when it comes to driver's licensing and vehicle registration. Our Military Drivers in North Dakota page has information that may apply to both you, your spouse, and/or dependents that are with you.

DMV Office Locations & Resources

Our DMV Office Finder can help you locate any NDDOT office in the state. All you have to do is enter your zip code.

Additional helpful resources:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review