Green Driver State Incentives in North Dakota
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Currently, North Dakota has a handful of green driver incentives to entice locals to adopt eco-friendly habits. For example, if you buy a new electric car, hybrid, or alternative fuel vehicle, you might be eligible for a federal tax credit. Plus, drivers of low-speed vehicles get free vehicle registration. Check out the content below for even more ways to save green by going green.
Free North Dakota Low-Speed Vehicle Registration
North Dakota defines low-speed vehicles as those that:
- Have 4 wheels.
- Are able to reach maximum speeds between 20 MPH and 25 MPH on a paved, level surface.
- Don't exceed a weight of 3,000 lbs when fully loaded with cargo or passengers.
You must keep your low-speed vehicle registered in order to legally operate it. Generally, this registration period of 2 years costs $20; however, you can register your low-speed vehicle for free if it's:
- Owned and operated by the United States (or another state) or its political subdivisions.
- Registered in a foreign country, but temporarily being used in ND.
- Validly licensed in another state, but not in ND for more than 30 consecutive days.
- Used exclusively for work on agricultural land or on private land that serves as an industrial job site.
Federal Tax Incentives for Green Vehicles
- Plug-in hybrids (PHEV).
- Electric vehicles (EV).
- Alternative fuel vehicles (AFV).
ND Auto Insurance Discounts for Eco-Friendly Driving and Green Vehicles
Examples of possible discounts include:
- Economy car discounts.
- Alternative fuel vehicle (AFV) discounts.
- Hybrid car discounts.
- Low-mileage discounts.
- Pay-as-you-go discounts.
Understand that potential car insurance discounts vary by provider. Example discounts might include up to a 10% discount on your insurance for driving an eco-friendly vehicle.
Talk with your current ND auto insurance provider about such discounts; if the company doesn't offer them, consider shopping around for a company that does.
Keep Up with Current North Dakota Green Driver Incentives
Note that just as these eco-friendly driver incentives and green driver laws are subject to change. To keep up with the latest, be sure to periodically check back us as well as the Alternative Fuel Data Center (AFDC) and your local North Dakota Department of Transportation office.