Driving Records in North Dakota
A driving record (also called a “driver abstract") from the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) is a document showing driver-related history including tickets, accidents, or suspensions.
Checking your driving record in North Dakota can help determine insurance rates, along with eligibility for certain jobs, license applications, or other legal or business transactions.
The NDDOT provides driving records with details about driver history, such as:
- Traffic tickets and accidents.
- Accumulated ND driver license points.
- Violations, convictions and suspensions.
- Commercial driver information (if applicable).
A North Dakota driver abstract is only provided to requesters who have written consent from the driver in question.
The NDDOT offers a couple types of driving records in North Dakota, which include:
- Online driver abstracts.
- Complete driver abstracts.
Online Driver Abstracts
The ND DOT website offers your personal driving record online (also called a “driver abstract"), but you'll receive only a limited version to view on your computer.
A limited online ND driving record does NOT show:
- Any information more than 3 years old.
- Tickets incurring less than 3 points.
- Crash information.
- Resolved suspension/revocations older than 3 years old.
Complete Driver Abstract
Your complete driver abstract will provide your entire history, including the incidents mentioned above that DO NOT appear on your driver abstract.
You may only order your complete driving record in person or by mail to the main DOT office in Bismarck:
608 E. Boulevard Ave
Bismarck, ND 58505
Or by fax to (701) 328-2435. Include your credit card number, expiration date and V-code to cover the $3 fee.
While you may check your personal DMV driving record in North Dakota anytime, the NDDOT limits who can access driver records.
To obtain the ND driving record of another individual, an organization must have written consent from the driver in question.
The North Dakota DOT allows you to order a limited driving record online, by mail, or by fax.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You may ONLY order your complete driving record in person at the Bismarck office mentioned above.
You may order a limited driver abstract online in North Dakota using the NDDOT Drivers License Record Request System. You may view and print this ND driving record online.
To use the NDDOT Drivers License Record Request System, you must:
- Enter your information in the requester field (required).
- Enter driver information (required even if identical to the requester field).
- Verify you are requesting the correct ND driving record.
- Select the driver.
- Submit payment for your driver record fee (see “Fees for ND Driving Records" below).
NOTE: The ND DOT will NOT send a copy to you by mail when you use this system.
To order a limited North Dakota driver record by mail:
- Complete the Request for Driver Abstract (Form SFN 51386).
- Enclose a $3 check or money order.
- Mail your driver abstract form and payment to:
Drivers License Division
608 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505
To order your limited driving record in North Dakota by fax:
- Send a completed Request for Driver Abstract (Form SFN 51386).
- Include payment information including your:
- Credit card number, expiration date, and CVV number.
- Fax your driver abstract form to (701) 328-2435.
Your complete ND driving record will be sent to you by mail.
Every driver record request in North Dakota will cost $3. The fee is the same for transactions made online, by mail, or by fax.
Acceptable Payment Methods
Online or By Fax:
You can make a payment on the ND DMV website with debit or credit cards, including:
The NDDOT accepts checks or money orders.
heroes have registered as organ donors.