Disability Plates and Placards in North Dakota
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Continue reading for more details about disability parking placards and plates in North Dakota.
Types of North Dakota Disability Permits
If you meet ND's disability requirements, you can apply for handicapped parking placards or license plates from the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT).
The NDDOT offers:
- Disability placards if your disability is:
- Permanent & non-reversible.
- Permanent & reversible.
- Disability license plates if you:
- Have a permanent disability.
- Are an eligible disabled veteran.
Both handicapped placards and license plates allow you to use disability parking spots. You should note that the placards and plates can be used ONLY by the person they are issued to.
Traveling with a Disability
If you are traveling to North Dakota from another state, you DO NOT need a local handicap placard.
ND recognizes placards and plates from all other states, and in turn, ND disability permits are recognized in all other states.
When traveling, you are subject to state and local parking laws and regulations, which may differ from your own.
Apply for ND Disability Parking
You can apply for a disability placard or license plate from the NDDOT:
- By mail.
- In person.
To apply for a handicap placard or license plate, you will need:
- The Application for Mobility-Impaired Parking Permit (Form SNF 02886), which must include medical certification by one of the following:
- Licensed physician.
- Physician's assistant.
- Advanced practice registered nurse.
- Payment for the applicable fee:
- Temporary placards: $3.
- Permanent placards are free.
- License plates: $5.
- A letter from the VA to certify that you have a 100% service-related disability, IF you are applying for disabled veteran plates.
Submit your application by mail or in person to your local ND motor vehicle office.
Renew a Disability Placard or Plate
All ND handicapped placards and license plates must be renewed to remain valid and have varying expiration dates:
- Temporary placards are valid for up to 3 months.
- Permanent placards expire in December 2018, and every 3 years thereafter.
- License plates expire when your vehicle registration expires.
You must apply for a new parking permit to renew your disability placard IF you have:
- A temporary placard that you need for longer than it was originally issued.
- A permanent placard for a reversible condition.
See Apply for ND Disability Parking above for application information.
If you have a permanent placard for a non-reversible disability, you will receive a renewal notice by mail to complete and return to the NDDOT. You DO NOT need a physician's certification to renew
To renew a disability license plate, you must renew your vehicle registration.
Replace a Disability Permit in ND
If your disability placard is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can request a replacement from the NDDOT.
You will need:
- Your placard number.
- Payment for the $3 replacement fee.
Submit your request to your nearest North Dakota motor vehicle office:
- In writing by mail.
- In person.
If you need to replace a disability license plate, you'll find more information on our ND license plate page.