Name Change in North Dakota
Continue reading this page to learn more about changing your name with the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT).
Change Your Name with the SSA
In some U.S. states, the DMV will verify your information with the Social Security Administration (SSA) before they make changes to your name on any documents. For this reason, it's a good idea to first update your name with the SSA before visiting a NDDOT office.
To change your name on your Social Security card, you'll need:
- An Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Proof of your:
- Name change (e.g. divorce decree, marriage certificate, court order).
- Identity (e.g. driver's license, ID card, passport).
- U.S. citizenship (if not on file with the SSA) OR lawful U.S. presence (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, work permit and I-94).
Visit the SSA website for a complete list of documents required to obtain a corrected Social Security card.
Send or take all the required documents to your local SSA office.
The SSA will process your application and send you an updated Social Security card with your new name within about 10 to 14 business days.
ND Driver's License/ID Name Change
To change your name on your North Dakota driver's license or ID card, visit your local NDDOT office in person with:
- Your current ND driver's license/ID card.
- Proof of your name change, such as your:
- Court order.
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Payment for the $3 fee.
Car Title & Registration Name Change
To change your name on your vehicle title and registration, you'll need to visit your local NDDOT office with your current certificate of title and payment for the $5 fee.
You will need to:
- Complete and sign Part 1 (Seller's Assignment & Warranty of Title).
- The “Seller" will be your previous name (as it currently appears on the front of the title.
- The “Buyer" will be your new name.
- If your car is less than 10 years old, you'll need to include your odometer information.
- Complete and sign Part 3 (Purchaser's Certification and Application).
Fees to Change Your Name in ND
You will need to pay the following fees to change your name with the ND Department of Transportation (NDDOT):
- Driver's license/ID card: $3.
- Car title and registration: $5.
Contact NDDOT if you have any questions about fees and accepted payment methods.
Change Your North Dakota Address
If you have changed your North Dakota address, you must notify the North Dakota DOT as soon as possible. You can change your address on your driver's license record online, however you will not be sent a replacement driver's license.
You will need to visit your local NDDOT office in person to:
- Obtain an updated driver's license showing your new address.
- Update your motor vehicle records and documents.
For more information, visit our Change of Address in North Dakota page.
Application for a Social Security Card
This form can be used to apply for an original or duplicate Social Security card, or to change your name on your Social Security card.
|Download Open the form|